[comp.unix.sysv386] Larger than usual computer cases

lance@virgin.MV.COM (Lance Fraser) (09/06/90)

In article <88@rsoft.bc.ca> frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) writes:

>Should one also be looking for a larger power supply for a system like this?
>What size power supply should one use for (as an example) a high end 386
>with 4 full height drives, two HD controllers, 16 megs of RAM, and a usual
>assortment of tape drive controllers, multiport cards, display adaptor, etc?

	Yes there are large towers with big price tags on them...

we sell one that starts at $750.00 and goes up from there
specs are

	24 1/2 in. H x 8 in. W x 23 in. D
	up to 450 watts of power
	up to 14 slots can be configured
	10 half-height drive bays

we usually configure these with 486's but sometimes 386's are enough.

if you are interested send email and I can send you a brochure.

	---lance

bote@csense.uucp (John Boteler) (09/11/90)

From article <7571@virgin.MV.COM>, by lance@virgin.MV.COM (Lance Fraser):
> In article <88@rsoft.bc.ca> frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) writes:
>>
>>Should one also be looking for a larger power supply for a system like this?
>>What size power supply should one use for (as an example) a high end 386
>>with 4 full height drives, two HD controllers, 16 megs of RAM, and a usual
>>assortment of tape drive controllers, multiport cards, display adaptor, etc?
>>
> we usually configure these with 486's but sometimes 386's are enough.

Like 486s draw so much more current than 386s?

There is a very nice case sold by a company named Data Storage Marketing.
It is big and heavy, in both construction and weight, has 8 half height
drive slots, fairly big power supply, and carrying handle on top (in
case you want to make it into a portable :)

Since you have a larger than usual number of drives as well as
more memory than usual, you should consider a larger power supply.

But beware, just saying "we have a 450 Watt supply" does not
necessarily help you. Look at where that power is supplied.

PC Power and Cooling has a 450~ Watt supply which puts out
no more current than the 375 Watt supply on either the 12V or 5V lines (I
can't remember which). In one case, your memory has no more current
available; in the other, your hard disks have no more current
than with the smaller supply. Caveat emptor.

No matter how you divvy it, 450 Watts is a lot of heat!

I found the number for Data Storage Marketing here: 800 543 6098.
They are out in Colorado and seem to be a good bunch to deal with.

--
John Boteler   bote@csense.uucp           {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703-241-BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

  You can get some reasonable size cases for about $150. Thats 6 HH and
2 3-1/2 bays, 250-300w power, reset and turbo buttons, speed display. I
added a 2nd fan to mine when I put the 3rd hard disk in.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX