[comp.unix.sysv386] <25@opel.COM>

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/10/90)

>->Is it possible to allow 2 different types of hard disks in a pc UNIX
>->environment (using 2 different controllers)?
>-
>-When I installed Interactive Unix 2.2 I attempted to use an ST-506 primary
>-controller and an Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller as secondary.  After
>-a *day* of re-building kernels and plugging and un-plugging controllers,
>-with nary a kernel that would boot, I gave up.  Fortunately, the SCSI
>-controller has floppy ports, so I decided to toss the ST-506, two MFM
>-drives, and use only the SCSI.
>-
>-The Interactive documentation states that two different contollers is
>-definitely allowed, but clearly I didn't have the magic to make it
>-work!
>
>I agree.  The documentation and menus indicate you can set up a primary ST-506
>and a secondary SCSI, but what I tried was the opposite:  having an old ST-506
>controller and drive available as secondary.  My attempts, too, failed.
>
>Anyone had any luck with this?  Followups to comp.unix.i386.

I don't know how to get this configuration working but, you absolutely cannot
have the AHA-154x board as a primary when used in a system that has any other
type of hard drive.  The AHA-154x will always configure itself in as a
secondary adapter in this scenario.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe,mlite}!adaptex!neese

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/12/90)

In article <77900005@adaptex> neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:

>>->Is it possible to allow 2 different types of hard disks in a pc UNIX
>>->environment (using 2 different controllers)?
>>-
>>-When I installed Interactive Unix 2.2 I attempted to use an ST-506 primary
>>-controller and an Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller as secondary.  After
>>-a *day* of re-building kernels and plugging and un-plugging controllers,
>>-with nary a kernel that would boot, I gave up.  Fortunately, the SCSI
>>-controller has floppy ports, so I decided to toss the ST-506, two MFM
>>-drives, and use only the SCSI.

>I don't know how to get this configuration working but, you absolutely cannot
>have the AHA-154x board as a primary when used in a system that has any other
>type of hard drive.  The AHA-154x will always configure itself in as a
>secondary adapter in this scenario.

No. This will work. Although I have only done it under SCO Xenix it should
work with other OS's as well.

The trick is that the ST506/ESDI WD1003 compatible controller must be
addressed at the "second" or "alternate" address and use interrupt 15.

Then neither the AHA-154x or ROM BIOS will find it. And you will boot off
the SCSI device. Once the OS is booted you just have to convince it to use
the hard disk attached to the secondary WD1003 controller. Under SCO Xenix
this was a simple as a few mknod's (the disk was already prepped).

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) (09/13/90)

>->Is it possible to allow 2 different types of hard disks in a pc UNIX
>->environment (using 2 different controllers)?
>-
>-When I installed Interactive Unix 2.2 I attempted to use an ST-506 primary
>-controller and an Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller as secondary.  After
>-a *day* of re-building kernels and plugging and un-plugging controllers,
>-with nary a kernel that would boot, I gave up.  Fortunately, the SCSI
>-controller has floppy ports, so I decided to toss the ST-506, two MFM
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  That could be your problem, if both ctrlr has floppy ports, you will
  need to disable the floppy on one of them.

>-drives, and use only the SCSI.

This should work fine.  I am currently using a WD 1003 (ST 506) with 2
HDs, and a Seagate ST-02 SCSI ctlr with a CDC Wren IV.  All 3 drives works
great.  I just can't boot off the SCSI because I don't have boot driver
for it.  The configuration is ISC 386/ix v2.0.2 and I am using my modified
version of the ST-01 driver from Tatu Ylonen (which I'll be posting soon
to alt.sources).

-- Tin Le

--
. tin@smsc.sony.com | {uunet,mips}!sonyusa!tin