[comp.unix.sysv386] 486, ISA bus & Unix/386

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (09/14/90)

Is anyone currently running SCO or Interactive Unix (or any other 386 Unix
for that matter) on a 486 box?

In particular, I need any information about experiences with:

  a) ISA bus technology, running a 386 Unix (which ones currently
     support ISA?)

  b) Ethernet cards available for the ISA bus, and which tcp-ip
     software is available for them (and does it work? :-))

  c) Any problems running a 386 Unix on a 25 or 33 MHZ 486 box

The proposed system will be:

  486 box, 16-20 meg of RAM
  tcp-ip; using GARP (Gateway's Novell tcp-ip bridge) with all the
    usual hardware requirements, supporting up to 40 connections
  tape drive (any around which work with ISA?)
  intelligent serial card, 16-32 ports (ditto)

We've set up equivalent systems using 386 boxes with an AT-compatible bus,
and had a few problems with the faster machines, and found a few problems
which could be worked around, but the requirement here is _definitely_ for
a 486, or possible a 386 with a dual processor card.

Any information appreciated.  Please respond by mail - I'll post a summary
if there is any interest.

--

        Fidonet: 3:632/348   SIGnet: 28:4100/1  Imex: 90:833/387
              Data:  +61-3-885-7864   Voice: +61-3-826-6711
 Internet/ACSnet: david@csource.oz.au    Uucp: ..!uunet!munnari!csource!david

ti@altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan) (09/14/90)

In article <742@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au writes:
>Is anyone currently running SCO or Interactive Unix (or any other 386 Unix
>for that matter) on a 486 box?
>
>In particular, I need any information about experiences with:
>
>  a) ISA bus technology, running a 386 Unix (which ones currently
      ^^^
>     support ISA?)
>
>We've set up equivalent systems using 386 boxes with an AT-compatible bus,

I think by ISA you mean EISA?
ISA:  Industry Standard Architecture (i.e. IBM AT 16-bit bus)
EISA: Extended ISA (32-bit)

Obviously both SCO and ISC UNIX supports the ISA bus, and since
the 486 on a AT-clone platform appears essentially identical to the
386, they should work.  Now, although the EISA bus is a functional
superset of the ISA bus, there are a lot of features and performance
gains that will not be available to you unless you are running true
EISA expansion cards and an OS designed to take advantage of the
EISA-specific features.  At present, neither SCO nor ISC has any
special support for EISA other than in "ISA-compatible" mode.

I believe currently Altos UNIX is the only 386/486 UNIX specifically
adapted to EISA, but they are supported only on the Altos line of
486 EISA boxes.

-Ti
--
Ti Kan | vorsprung durch technik!                                       \\\
Internet: ti@altos.com                                                   \\\