[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO Unix: few bugs but bad features

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/14/90)

According to oscar@eismond.uucp (Carsten Tschach):
>Not SCO - it's so buggy !!!

I have found SCO's products to be relatively less buggy than most
other vendors' products.  We use SCO Unix 3.2v0, and we have found it
of good quality.  Most of the bugs we found are fixed in 3.2v2.

However, I often disagree with the set of features SCO chooses to
implement.  The SCO Unix C2 security, for example, has driven us
*this* close to changing vendors.

C2 security is a nightmare for support.  Imagine trying to debug
permission problems when both system programs and the *kernel* care
*which* user and group you are, and grant different permissions for
each.  Ah for the good old days, when the only choices were
"superuser" and "peon"...
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (09/15/90)

In article <26EFE2A9.CC4@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to oscar@eismond.uucp (Carsten Tschach):
[...]
>C2 security is a nightmare for support.  Imagine trying to debug
>permission problems when both system programs and the *kernel* care
>*which* user and group you are, and grant different permissions for
>each.  Ah for the good old days, when the only choices were
>"superuser" and "peon"...

  You can turn off most of the C2 features.  I did and then I turned
  some of them back on (login expirations and password/terminal security
  features.)  C2 does add a new dimension to Unix administration and one
  which is becoming more asked about by businesses as 'Hacker-phobia'
  sweeps the world.

  I really like what you can do with user/group combinations.  It is
  kind of reminisent of the (ancient) RSTS-E scheme where student
  accounts could access some files in the profs directory. (Remember
  [100,52] vs account [100,0]).

  As for bugs ... well the micosoft C compiler is kind of odd but,
  not really buggy, besides there is the ATT compiler 'rcc' that
  will usually compile what Microsoft can not.  (At least the Microsoft
  C compiler supports ansi extentions.)

  Some of the software development problems I have encountered are a
  result of multiple libraries with identical routines in different
  formats.  These libs are there to support Unix/Xenix/DOS developement
  all on the same machine.  Trade offs I guess ...

  IMHO for all the software you get SCO-ODT is a super bargin.

  Of course you can _always_ piece ODT together from the seperate
  venders as you need it.

 +--------
 |  Bill England
 |  Stephen Software Systems, Inc.,   Tacoma Wa.
 |  wengland@stephsf.com              +1 206 564 2122

  * *      H -> He +24Mev
 * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *
  * *