[comp.unix.sysv386] Problems installing SCO ODT

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (michael squires) (09/13/90)

I've been trying to install ODT 1.0 and (once) it worked (but then
I had to modify the installation and decided to re-install from
scratch) and (three or more times) it has not worked.  What happens
is that the install goes without errors but when I boot I get
the message "-: grep not found" instead of the message that the
accounting system is not running and the accounting system eventually
crashes, locking me out.  X does not run either under these conditions (it
did the first time).  It seems to either be (1) a bad set of install
diskettes or (2) some mistake I'm making when I do a selective install.

Any ideas?

tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) (09/15/90)

In <58256@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (michael squires) writes:

>I've been trying to install ODT 1.0 and (once) it worked (but then
>I had to modify the installation and decided to re-install from
>scratch) and (three or more times) it has not worked.  What happens
>is that the install goes without errors but when I boot I get
>the message "-: grep not found" instead of the message that the
>accounting system is not running and the accounting system eventually
>crashes, locking me out.  X does not run either under these conditions (it
>did the first time).  It seems to either be (1) a bad set of install
>diskettes or (2) some mistake I'm making when I do a selective install.

>Any ideas?

One thing that we ran into here was that if you echo a message out of an
rc script (i.e.: echo "Starting product specific initialization"), or do
an "su -" out of an rc script and root's .profile echos something
(i.e.: echo "Product Specific Greeting"), you can do grevious and
irreversable damage to the the UNIX product.  Well, maybe it's not that
bad, but we had things like system error messages showing up in the
/etc/mnttab file.