[comp.unix.sysv386] ANSI-C compatible cc in SysV??

In article <9395@ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
>Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc
>on a small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
>choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for
>ANSI C compatibility.

CC is not.  LPI-cc (included in ISC UNIX 2.2) is ANSI compliant, but I
have heard bad words about it on the net.

Probably the best answer is GNU-cc which has been ported to the 386
environment.

>Second question, is it possible get allow root to log into a virtual
>terminal, instead of being restricted to using the console?

Yes.  Change the /etc/default/login file. (comment out the line
CONSOLE=... by adding a # at the begining of the line)  You probably
want to make the same change to /etc/default/su.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

hansen@pegasus.ATT.COM (Tony L. Hansen) (09/10/90)

< In article <9395@ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
< Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc on a
< small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
< choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for ANSI
< C compatibility.

The compiler which originally came with SVr3.2 is NOT ANSI C compatible.
However, AT&T has subsequently come out with a new version of System V
release 3 which DOES come with an ANSI C compiler (as well as an ANSI C lint
and other tools).

					Tony Hansen
				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony
				    hansen@pegasus.att.com

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (09/11/90)

>< In article <9395@ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
>< Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc on a
>< small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
>< choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for ANSI
>< C compatibility.
>and other tools).

I did the same thing with 'cc' on my Esix system.  It choked too.
I tried it with gcc on the same system, and it worked.

--
Work:    heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	 {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (09/12/90)

In article <2@tdw206.ed.ray.com>, heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
>>< In article <9395@ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
>>< Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc on a
>>< small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
>>< choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for ANSI
>>< C compatibility.
>>and other tools).
>
> I did the same thing with 'cc' on my Esix system.  It choked too.
> I tried it with gcc on the same system, and it worked.

Easily understood.  The cc that comes with SVR3 is _not_ an ANSI compiler.
Never has been.  Never will be.  Now, the cc that comes with SVR4 _IS_
ANSI-compliant.  SCO Unix comes with both the AT&T compiler (invoked by
using 'rcc' instead of 'cc') _AND_ the Microsoft ANSI compiler (invoked
by 'cc'), so you have both ways.

If you have SVR3 and want ANSI, cheaply, GCC is the way to go.

[- O] Rick Stevens, Technology Marketing Incorporated
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)
      (Opinions are mine.  No one listens to me here anyway.)

"Lead, follow, or get the h*ll out of the way!"

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/17/90)

In article <358@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
=Easily understood.  The cc that comes with SVR3 is _not_ an ANSI compiler.

	True.

=Never has been.

	Also true.

=Never will be.

	BZZZZZZT!!  CI 5.0 is  available with AT&T SVR3.2.2.  It's the
same CI 5.0 that's distributed with R4.0.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math