[comp.unix.sysv386] <10127@nstar.uucp>

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/10/90)

>>>If you use SCSI drives, at least some of them power-sequence themselves;
>>>that's a consideration since it's the start-up power requirement that's the
>
>>I tried enabling the delay on power up on my SCSI Wren drives - but
>>the Adaptec 1542B & ISC never finds the drives -
>
>Curious.  I missed the first part of this thread, but it looks suspiciously
>like the behavior of my 1542B/ Seagate 296N combination under Xenix 2.3.2.
>On the initial power-up sequencing, the Adaptec will poll for devices
>before the Seagate has finished it's recalibration. After about ten seconds
>of silence, the ST296N will restart what sounds like it's power-on self
>test, and the 1542B will then report it as Drive C and continue.
>
>Come to think of it, this is not OS specific, because it does this when I
>run it under DOS as well.

What the behavior you are describing is quite simple.  At power on a SCSI
device goes through it's self-test.  Some SCSI devices will hold the SCSI
bus busy during this period of time.  These devices will cause a SCSI bus
reset to be issued by the adapter after the SCSI bus goes free so you will
see the device go through it's self test again.
If a OS issues a SCSI bus reset and does not wait for the bus to clear up
before going further, there is a good chance that they will not recognize the
device when they get to the first issuance of a SCSI command.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe,mlite}!adaptex!neese

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (09/16/90)

neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:
>What the behavior you are describing is quite simple.  At power on a SCSI
>device goes through it's self-test.  Some SCSI devices will hold the SCSI
>bus busy during this period of time.  These devices will cause a SCSI bus
>reset to be issued by the adapter after the SCSI bus goes free so you will
>see the device go through it's self test again.
>If a OS issues a SCSI bus reset and does not wait for the bus to clear up
>before going further, there is a good chance that they will not recognize the
>device when they get to the first issuance of a SCSI command.

all too true, with my three drive combo i have to reboot after i power the
machine up (when the 'booting the blah' message comes) because the ST296
is too slow at startup - it doesn't show up the first time. i didn't had to
do this with my old board because the ram test took longer, so installing
more RAM (more than 8MB) could cure this :-)
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (09/18/90)

>all too true, with my three drive combo i have to reboot after i power the
>machine up (when the 'booting the blah' message comes) because the ST296
>is too slow at startup - it doesn't show up the first time. i didn't had to
>do this with my old board because the ram test took longer, so installing
>more RAM (more than 8MB) could cure this :-)

I had similar problems at power-up with some Wren IV's and moving to
8megs of RAM did alleviate the problem.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com