[comp.unix.sysv386] database: aliases

dcc@world.std.com (Dave C Curado) (09/18/90)

Hello there,
I think I've got a question with an easy answer...but I can't find it.

When I boot up our SysV machine (Wyse 386) (Version 3.2) I get an error
message:
  could not open database: /usr/lib/aliases

I'm pretty sure that's the error, but the machine is at work and now
I'm home...so... The file *does* exist, and is readable.  Does anyone
know what's going on here?  Thanks ...Dave C.

--
Dave Curado                I didn't say that I didn't say it.
dcc@world.std.com          I said that I didn't say that I said it.

In article <1990Sep18.035134.20683@world.std.com> dcc@world.std.com (Dave C Curado) writes:
>When I boot up our SysV machine (Wyse 386) (Version 3.2) I get an error
>message:
>  could not open database: /usr/lib/aliases
>
>I'm pretty sure that's the error, but the machine is at work and now
>I'm home...so... The file *does* exist, and is readable.  Does anyone
>know what's going on here?  Thanks ...Dave C.

Perhaps you have /usr or /usr/lib as a separate file system that is not
yet mounted when that program is being run?

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep18.035134.20683@world.std.com> dcc@world.std.com (Dave C Curado) writes:

>When I boot up our SysV machine (Wyse 386) (Version 3.2) I get an error
>message:
>  could not open database: /usr/lib/aliases
>
>..... The file *does* exist, and is readable.

This message is being issued by sendmail, it is a little misleading. When
it says "database" what sendmail actually means is the dbm data files
generated from /usr/lib/aliases. You apparently have not created these,
thus the error. In order to create aliases.dir and aliases.pag issue the
command:
		/usr/lib/sendmail -bi

That should eliminate the error message. Cheers!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -