[comp.unix.sysv386] 150 - 250 MB Tape Drives?

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (09/14/90)

I'm shopping for a new home system and will need a tape drive.  We have
a 60 MB Everex at work that has performed flawlessly, but I want a 150 MB
or 250 MB at home and haven't seen an Everex advertised in that capacity.

Any other recommendations?  I have a vaguely favorable impression of Wangtek,
but I can't remember where it comes from.

Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
60 MB tapes?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/17/90)

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>Any other recommendations?  I have a vaguely favorable impression of Wangtek,
>but I can't remember where it comes from.

I can highly recommend Archive 150mb tape backups. I've seen them mail order
for about $800, internal unit with controller card.

>Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
>60 MB tapes?

Yup. At least, archives do.
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (09/17/90)

In article <3259@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>
>>Any other recommendations?  I have a vaguely favorable impression of Wangtek,
>>but I can't remember where it comes from.
>
>I can highly recommend Archive 150mb tape backups. I've seen them mail order
>for about $800, internal unit with controller card.
>
>>Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
>>60 MB tapes?

How about a SCSI tapedrive that will connect directly to my Adaptec 1542b?
It doesn't seem like I should need another controller card ...

--
Work:    heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	 {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser K. Doleh) (09/18/90)

Deignan) writes:
> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>
> >Any other recommendations?  I have a vaguely favorable impression of
Wangtek,
> >but I can't remember where it comes from.
>
> I can highly recommend Archive 150mb tape backups. I've seen them mail order
> for about $800, internal unit with controller card.
>
> >Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
> >60 MB tapes?
>
> Yup. At least, archives do.

I don't think they write 60MB they only read them

> --
> -- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
> -- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --
> -- UUCP: ...uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mpd -- Telebit:  +1 401 455 0347    --
> -- XENIX Archives: login: xxcp, password: xenix  Index: ~/SOFTLIST   --

Yaser Doleh   <doleh@math-cs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242

jhl@kira.uucp (John Lawitzke) (09/18/90)

From article <2443@sud509.ed.ray.com>, by heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com:
$ In article <3259@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
$>mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
$>
$>I can highly recommend Archive 150mb tape backups. I've seen them mail order
$>for about $800, internal unit with controller card.
$>

This would be the Archive 2150L drive with a VP402 controller.

$>>Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
$>>60 MB tapes?

No. The 2150L will read 60MB (QIC-24) tapes. DC6150 tapes will write in
QIC-150, giving 150MB storage capacity. The DC600A (the standard 60MB
tape) will write in QIC-120 format, giving 120MB storage capacity.

$ How about a SCSI tapedrive that will connect directly to my Adaptec 1542b?
$ It doesn't seem like I should need another controller card ...

Archive makes the 2150S tape drive which is a SCSI version of their
2150L tape drive. I've used this drive fine on an Adaptec 1540B under
Intel's SVR4, on a Future Domain controller under Xenix and MSDOS.

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) (09/19/90)

In article <2443@sud509.ed.ray.com>, heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
> In article <3259@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
> >mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

> How about a SCSI tapedrive that will connect directly to my Adaptec 1542b?
> It doesn't seem like I should need another controller card ...

That's what I did.  Call Dialo at Smart Ideas, (617) 536-6323, and tell him
I sent you.  He will help you out with the details and give you a good price
also ($625.00 = archive 150S).

Craig W. Shaver

Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: hacgate!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig@tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |

In article <1990Sep17.175157.8193@math-cs.kent.edu>, doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser K. Doleh) writes:
> In article <3259@anomaly.sbs.com>, mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P.
> Deignan) writes:
> > mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> >
> > >Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
> > >60 MB tapes?
> >
> > Yup. At least, archives do.
>
> I don't think they write 60MB they only read them

They will write the standard dc600's at 120mb, which I believe is 15 tracks
instead of 9.  They will not write at the standard 9 track 60mb format
though, which is a BIG shame....

Craig W. Shaver

Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: hacgate!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig@tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (09/19/90)

150-250 meg Archives will read but NOT write 60 meg tapes.

Rick Furniss

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (09/20/90)

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) writes:

>That's what I did.  Call Dialo at Smart Ideas, (617) 536-6323, and tell him
>I sent you.  He will help you out with the details and give you a good price
>also ($625.00 = archive 150S).

One of the discount houses in PC Week is advertising the
Archive 2150S for $499 (they also have Maxtor 3280 SCSI drives
for $699 new / $599 used).

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                          usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (09/20/90)

>>>Also, I presume these 150 and 250 MB drives will also read/write standard
>>>60 MB tapes?

you can read 60MB tapes with 150MB+ streamers, but you can't write them.

>How about a SCSI tapedrive that will connect directly to my Adaptec 1542b?
>It doesn't seem like I should need another controller card ...

for instance tandberg, archive and wangtek offer scsi streamers.

--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93