[comp.unix.sysv386] NFS for ESIX

engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) (09/16/90)

   I'd like to get comments from anybody who's had experience using
ESIX's NFS to link to Suns or other Unix platforms.  I've been running
ESIX Rev C TCP/IP for Telnet and FTP links with Suns here on our ethernet
and it seems to work well.  My next step will be to upgrade to Rev D and get
the ESIX NFS package going.  The ultimate goal is to get NFS running on an
ESIX 486 system and try it out as a low cost server for some of our slower
Suns (3/50s and 60s).  Before I dive into this I thought I'd check with the
net to see if anybody has tried this yet, or am I nuts ;)  I'll sum up
to the net if there's enough interest.

--
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|  Ralph Engwall          | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (09/18/90)

>   I'd like to get comments from anybody who's had experience using
>ESIX's NFS to link to Suns or other Unix platforms.  I've been running
>ESIX Rev C TCP/IP for Telnet and FTP links with Suns here on our ethernet
>and it seems to work well.  My next step will be to upgrade to Rev D and get
>the ESIX NFS package going.  The ultimate goal is to get NFS running on an
>ESIX 486 system and try it out as a low cost server for some of our slower
>Suns (3/50s and 60s).  Before I dive into this I thought I'd check with the
>net to see if anybody has tried this yet, or am I nuts ;)  I'll sum up
>to the net if there's enough interest.

It kinda sounds like a bad idea because of the short file names.
Things would probably get messy when the Suns tried to create files
greater than 14 character long.

I've been thinking about doing something similar, but figured it would
have to wait until SVR4 becomes available.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

joyco@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Joy Correa) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep18.071534.3162@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>   I'd like to get comments from anybody who's had experience using
>>ESIX's NFS to link to Suns or other Unix platforms.  I've been running
>>ESIX Rev C TCP/IP for Telnet and FTP links with Suns here on our ethernet
>>and it seems to work well.  My next step will be to upgrade to Rev D and get
>>the ESIX NFS package going.  The ultimate goal is to get NFS running on an
>>ESIX 486 system and try it out as a low cost server for some of our slower
>>Suns (3/50s and 60s).  Before I dive into this I thought I'd check with the
>>net to see if anybody has tried this yet, or am I nuts ;)  I'll sum up
>>to the net if there's enough interest.
>
>It kinda sounds like a bad idea because of the short file names.
>Things would probably get messy when the Suns tried to create files
>greater than 14 character long.
>
>I've been thinking about doing something similar, but figured it would
>have to wait until SVR4 becomes available.

We've got ESIX Rev D running with ESIX NFS hooked up to a Sony NEWS workstation
and it seems to be running fine (just installed NFS a couple of days ago).  We
are doing this for a client who will be tight on disk space on his Sony. At any
rate, it feels just like NFS on a SUN (almost).

As for long filenames, since Rev D. comes with a BSD filesystem, it should
be possible (at least in theory) to get long filenames.  In fact, I have
contacted ESIX tech support and they claim that they will be posting a
response to my question to the net.

Frank Godek
Integral Software

e-mail:  godek@isshi.pegasus.com