[comp.unix.sysv386] 150 Meg SCSI Tape Drives

rutland@stdc01.UUCP (John Rutland) (09/21/90)

I have been following the recent postings on 150 M SCSI tape
drives. Looking through PC Week and Computer Shopper I find
the Wangtek 5150ES for about $800 and the Archive 2150S for
about $500 (both bare drive). Is there some difference in
features that would account for this price difference
(ability to write 60 M tapes)?

I am running ESIX/V.3.2 Rev C with an Adaptec 1542. The Wangtek 5150ES
is listed as working in this configuration. Has anyone used the
Archive 2150S with this type of configuration ?

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (09/21/90)

rutland@stdc01.UUCP (John Rutland) writes:

>I have been following the recent postings on 150 M SCSI tape
>drives. Looking through PC Week and Computer Shopper I find
>the Wangtek 5150ES for about $800 and the Archive 2150S for
>about $500 (both bare drive). Is there some difference in
>features that would account for this price difference

Last I heard the Wangtek has ceramic heads - while the archive
has metal heads - and the ceramic heads do much better at writing
and reading the 250 megabytes 6250 tapes

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                          usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)