[comp.unix.sysv386] Hmmm, so SCO-ODT does work on some 486's!

firewind@xroads.UUCP (Tom Parker) (09/18/90)

Well, I read about 10+ posts in reply to my original post and it seems that
they have all contained some useful information.  What I found was:  1) At
least one person from SCO seems to have a helpful attitude.  This is a far
cry from SCO's technical support asking what kind of computer the customer is
running it against, checking their list, and then telling them to take a
flying leap.  2) There are five system types running ODT on a 486:  HP,
Compaq, Olivetti, Intel 401, Altos 5000.  This will be helpful in knowing
that it doesn't die on all '486's!

Other things that are interesting:  People who assail the quality of the
motherboard we're using.  Geez, we checked it out with everything.  Its not
brain-dead and it does run SCO Unix.  How is ODT so different from SCO Unix?

SCO's claim that ODT runs on "any '486":  I still wonder about it.  Has
anybody had any problems with installing ODT on a 486?  I know of five
systems that do run it, but what about other systems that *don't*?
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (09/22/90)

firewind@xroads.UUCP (Tom Parker) writes:

>SCO's claim that ODT runs on "any '486":  I still wonder about it.  Has
>anybody had any problems with installing ODT on a 486?  I know of five
>systems that do run it, but what about other systems that *don't*?

So far we've none that it would fail on.

On the whole though, we use practically only AMI boards. It's safer to stick
with a known vendor who will back his product to work.

With most boards it's only a renaming of the brand name anyway. The bios seems
to make the difference.

fred
--
Fred Rump              | Home of Brother John Software
CompuData, Inc.        |