[comp.unix.sysv386] Use Microsoft Serial mouse with COMPAQ 486/25 on SCO 3.2.2

shimizu@jitgmn.enet.dec.com (Hidetoshi Shimizu) (09/12/90)

	I installed Xsight and TCP/IP on 486/25. But I can't use a Microsoft
	Serial mouse. I connected a mouse to pointer interface at back panel.
	So I selected #2(Microsoft serial mouse) and tty01 and serial port
	/dev/tty1a, when mkdev mouse.
	After install TCP/IP and Xsight, I can execute telnet ,ftp and
	startx command. But can't use mouse on a Window and use with usemouse.

	Please suggestion anyone.

--
Hidetoshi Shimizu
Financial-2 EIC

shimizu@jitgmn.enet.dec.com (Hidetoshi Shimizu) (09/17/90)

>	 I installed Xsight and TCP/IP on 486/25. But I can't use a Microsoft
>	 Serial mouse. I connected a mouse to pointer interface at back panel.
>	 So I selected #2(Microsoft serial mouse) and tty01 and serial port
>	 /dev/tty1a, when mkdev mouse.

	This problem closed myself.
	I connected a mouse into a serial port on DESKPRO 486/25.
	But DESKPRO 486/25 has a mouse I/F. I'd like to use a this I/F.

	I selected a device of Microdoft bus mouse when mkdev mouse. And
	reboot a unix. Then I start a startx command but unix was occued
	error "Open driver faild::No such device or address".

	What a driver must I select to use a Microsoft Serial mouse into a
	mouse I/F on DESKPRO 486/25.

--
Hidetoshi Shimizu
Financial-2 EIC

dionj@sco.COM (Dion L. Johnson) (09/19/90)

-
-	I selected a device of Microdoft bus mouse when mkdev mouse. And
-	reboot a unix. Then I start a startx command but unix was occued
-	error "Open driver faild::No such device or address".
-
-	What a driver must I select to use a Microsoft Serial mouse into a
-	mouse I/F on DESKPRO 486/25.
---
-Hidetoshi Shimizu
-Financial-2 EIC

You're not using the correct mouse interface.  The pointer interface on
Compaq Deskpros is a keyboard mouse port, similar to what IBM provides
on PS/2s, which means that you must select the keyboard mouse entry when
running mkdev mouse.  It should work then; I've tried it on variety of
Deskpros (386s, 386/20e, 386/25, and 486/25).
---
Wu Liu -- Member, Technical Staff       The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
UUCP:      ...!uunet!sco!wul            400 Encinal St.
Internet:  wul@sco.COM                  Santa Cruz, CA  95061

shimizu@jitgmn.enet.dec.com (Hidetoshi Shimizu) (09/22/90)

In article <10192@scorn.sco.COM> dionj@sco.COM (Dion L. Johnson) writes:

> You're not using the correct mouse interface.  The pointer interface on
> Compaq Deskpros is a keyboard mouse port, similar to what IBM provides
> on PS/2s, which means that you must select the keyboard mouse entry when
> running mkdev mouse.  It should work then; I've tried it on variety of
> Deskpros (386s, 386/20e, 386/25, and 486/25).
> ---
> Wu Liu -- Member, Technical Staff       The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
> UUCP:      ...!uunet!sco!wul            400 Encinal St.
> Internet:  wul@sco.COM                  Santa Cruz, CA  95061

Thank you for your replay.
I've tried it, but I can't use a mouse yet.
I selected keyboaed mouse and attached /dev/mouse/kb0 and assosiated tty01.
System return error massage is a "d_open: can't set type if stdin to keyboard,
errno (22)","ev_open: error attaching device" and "usemouse: cannot open event
queue(22)" when running "usemouse -t vi -c .....".

I don't understan why couldn't use a mouse.
Please help.

--
Hidetoshi Shimizu       Digital Equipment Corporation Japan
Financial-2 EIC         Urbannet Ikebukuro bldg 3-16-3 Higashi Ikebukuro