[comp.unix.sysv386] 3-6 Computers to good to be true? Other recommendations?

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (09/14/90)

These guys advertise in PC Week, with what looks like an amazing deal:

	33 MHZ Micronics, 64K Cache
	4 MB RAM
	SVGA combo (1024x768)
	330 MB CDC SCSI drive
	etc.

for $3699.

Is this too good to be true, or does the price break just come from being
able to avoid paying for Gateway 2000 et.al.'s  multipage colorful ads?

Any other hardware recommendations for a similar configuration (150-200MB
SCSI, ESDI, or IDE disk would actually be enough) would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep13.234057.22664@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>These guys advertise in PC Week, with what looks like an amazing deal:
>
>	33 MHZ Micronics, 64K Cache
>	4 MB RAM
>	SVGA combo (1024x768)
>	330 MB CDC SCSI drive
>	etc.
>
>for $3699.
>
>Is this too good to be true, or does the price break just come from being
>able to avoid paying for Gateway 2000 et.al.'s  multipage colorful ads?
>
>Any other hardware recommendations for a similar configuration (150-200MB
>SCSI, ESDI, or IDE disk would actually be enough) would be most appreciated.

This is not too good to be true. The system I'm using has the 33Mhz Micronics
caching motherboard, 8 MB RAM, SVGA, a 330 MB Micropolis SCSI drive, a
ST296 80 MB SCSI drive, Archive tape drive, Adaptec 1542A controller,
power supply, case and keyboard for a total price of $2900. Of course no
two components came from the same vendor and I did some very aggressive
shopping. I also had some hair tearing problems getting it all to run.
It took about 3 months to gather the whole system into a working machine.
What you are paying Gateway 2000 et. al. for is to take the integration
headaches and the component shopping headaches off your shoulders. It's
often worth it.

Gary

  3-6 has been around for some years, making no-frills 386 boxes. Seem
to be okay boxes.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX