[comp.unix.sysv386] Come and get it...X11R4 VGA binaries for 386/ix 2.0.2

steve@hite386.UUCP (Steve Hite) (09/19/90)

   I may regret this, but here goes...I have ftp'ed Thomas Roell's port
of the X11R4 VGA binaries for 386/ix 2.0.2 (yes, it will run fine on
v2.2, also).  Thomas did the port originally to ESIX but someone else
had the disk space ;) and patience to get it compiled for Interactive.

I will send anyone the compressed tar files if you follow these instructions:

(note: I do not have the ESIX binaries because I'm running 386/ix v2.2 at home)

  1. Send either 3 1.2 meg or 3 1.44 meg floppies (the binaries are about
     3 meg so it doesn't matter) in a disk packet that is sturdy enough to
     be reused.  I do not have the time to take care of 360K floppies.

  2. Send enough postage for the trip back to you.  If you don't, then
     it can't possibly get back to you ;).

  3. Please fill out a white "sticky" label that has your address on it.

  4. PRE-format your disks so all I have to do is tar the files onto them.
     If you do not PRE-format them then you will be put at the bottom of
     the list and I will format them when I'm bored (if I get bored, then
     I usually go hit golf balls at the driving range, first ;) ).

  5. This is not a must, but if you include your e-mail address I can at
     least notify you that I received your disks and they are in queue.

  6. Do not send any money other than postage.  The handling part is free.
     Thanks for the thought but if you do I will merely return it to you.
     Free means free.

If the response if large, then I will probably determine how many I can do
in about 30-45 minutes and send out that many every day until there are no more
left.  They will be numbered when I get them so I can make it as fair as
possible.

Why am I doing this???  Well, my university *just* got Internet access and
I'd like to do a service that in some way "repays" the Net's kind people
who have taken their time to send me software.

I am on the lookout for Tom's new X11R4 VGA server due out in Fall '90.
The one I have is dated around June '90 and I believe it has been patched
to fix #9 of the X11R4 patch releases.

My address is:
	Steve Hite
	9820 Creekfront Rd. Apt. 814
	Jacksonville, FL  32256

If you have questions and want to spend your nickel:

        (904) 645-8772

E-mailing either to:

        ...gatech!uflorida!unf7!shite         (School account)
                      -or-
        ...gatech!uflorida!unf7!hite386!steve (Home system)

If you *do* have FTP capability then you can get the binaries from a couple
of the informatik sites in Germany (i.e. unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de)
or I think Rice University is archiving them as well.

-------------------------------------
Steve Hite
...gatech!uflorida!unf7!hite386!steve

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (09/21/90)

In article <39@hite386.UUCP> steve@hite386.UUCP (Steve Hite) writes:
>   I may regret this, but here goes...I have ftp'ed Thomas Roell's port
>of the X11R4 VGA binaries for 386/ix 2.0.2 (yes, it will run fine on
>v2.2, also).  Thomas did the port originally to ESIX but someone else
>had the disk space ;) and patience to get it compiled for Interactive.

	Does this port support add-on xterms via ISC's ethernet?
	I have ISC's X11 1.2 (or is it 2.0?  The latest, whatever)
	and have no problems accessing it with PC-Xview from one
	of my 386 pcs.  However, I cannot access the R4 system at
	all.  Works great from the console.

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) (09/21/90)

In <39@hite386.UUCP> steve@hite386.UUCP (Steve Hite) writes:

>   I may regret this, but here goes...I have ftp'ed Thomas Roell's port
>of the X11R4 VGA binaries for 386/ix 2.0.2 (yes, it will run fine on
>v2.2, also).  Thomas did the port originally to ESIX but someone else
>had the disk space ;) and patience to get it compiled for Interactive.

OK, OK ... we have X11R4 running on ESIX and now ISC 2.2, but what about
SCO V3.2.x???  I know there has to be someone out there that has hacked
either the ISC port or the ESIX port to run under SCO Unix!  If so, please
speak up and tell us about it!  I haven't had time to dive into it, yet I am
eager to use it and compile all this new software (like XRN 6.11) under
it.

It seems like after Thomas announed his last port, there was some discussion
about running it under SCO, but it faded with time.  I obtained the X11R4
binaries that Athula Herath compiled for ISC (using Roell's patches) via
anon FTP a while back, and while they sort of ran, the server never could
take over my display.

Also, I still am wondering why SCO decided to leave out the libraries and
include files for some of the other toolkits, like Athena Widgets (Xaw)!?  I
realize it competes with Motif, but so much of the previously written
contributed software for X11 utilized Xaw and others.  Oh well, the world
can't be totally in step.  :-)

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey, N4XHX                              _______/====X11====\_______
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 |         JobSoft         |

In article <658@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM> root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) writes:

| Also, I still am wondering why SCO decided to leave out the libraries and
| include files for some of the other toolkits, like Athena Widgets (Xaw)!?  I
| realize it competes with Motif, but so much of the previously written
| contributed software for X11 utilized Xaw and others.  Oh well, the world
| can't be totally in step.  :-)

  Athena widgets are available from SCO for the asking.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX