[comp.unix.sysv386] Separate UNIX and MS-DOS on same system

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (09/21/90)

A few months ago there was a discussion here (actually, in comp.unix.i386)
concerning how to set up a 386 system so that it had separate UNIX and MS-DOS
partitions on the hard disk, and the user could choose at the time of powerup
or reset which operating system to run.  In other words, the user would be
allowed to turn the machine on, and choose to run _just_ MS-DOS or _just_
UNIX.

I even remember one person reporting that he had his system configured to
run UNIX, MS-DOS or OS/2...

Well, that subject didn't concern me at the time, but now I have a client who
is a long-time MS-DOS user wanting to get started with UNIX.  He doesn't want
to purchase VP/ix (why pay $500 to be able to run MS-DOS, which he already
has???).

We want to set up his machine in a way that will allow him to keep all of his
MS-DOS stuff as-is, but also be able to run ESIX as an alternative.

So how exactly is this done?  It would seem that a custom UNIX boot floppy
is required, but the documentation I have does not specify how to do this.

Since this topic has already been covered here, please email me directly at
the below address.  If you are interested in the replies I get, email me
directly, and I will forward you a summary.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!ateng!tscs!metran!jay

chandler@beagle.uucp (Jim Chandler) (09/23/90)

In article <275@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
> A few months ago there was a discussion here (actually, in comp.unix.i386)
> concerning how to set up a 386 system so that it had separate UNIX and MS-DOS
> partitions on the hard disk, and the user could choose at the time of powerup
> or reset which operating system to run.  In other words, the user would be
> allowed to turn the machine on, and choose to run _just_ MS-DOS or _just_
> UNIX.

Recently a program call bootmenu was posted to the net.  It replaces the boot
sectors on the disk so at powerup time, the user may select which partition to
boot off of.  If you want the source let me know and I will send it to you.

--
Jim Chandler
asuvax!xroads!beagle!chandler