[comp.unix.sysv386] ESIX e-mailing list

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (09/15/90)

Well I have seen a few requests for someone to start an ESIX mailing list.
If you would like to be on such a list drop me some email. Maybe this way
we can shape the development of the ESIX OS to support the features our
customers need.

BTW on a related subject.....

I would like to take a poll, (Which I will sum up here)
What system do you use (i.e. Compaq 386 25 mhz Pheonix BIOS)
What Vidio card do you have (i.e. Vidio 7 Fastwrite)
What Display? (i.e. Multisysnc 3D)
Type of hard drive controller (i.e. WD1007A ESDI)
Which Unix do you run (i.e. ISC 2.02, or ESIX Rev D)
What SCSI Devices do you use (Hard Drive, WORM, etc.)
What is the most important feature in your next UNIX System (price, support....)

Thanks.....

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (09/15/90)

In article <540@everex.UUCP> jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) writes:

I'd rather see ESIX discussions remain here in the newsgroup, rather
than having things fragmented up among vendor-specific newsgroups and
mailing lists.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (09/17/90)

In article <2107@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>In article <540@everex.UUCP> jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) writes:
>
>I'd rather see ESIX discussions remain here in the newsgroup, rather
>than having things fragmented up among vendor-specific newsgroups and
>mailing lists.

There are times when a mailing list can be great.  General conversations
should remain in a newsgroup like this, but when someone has a specific
question requiring a quick fix, the mailing list generates good response.
I see this with the myriad of Sun-related lists and newsgroups.

Bill

--
Work:    heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	 {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (09/18/90)

>>Well I have seen a few requests for someone to start an ESIX mailing list.
>
>I'd rather see ESIX discussions remain here in the newsgroup, rather
>than having things fragmented up among vendor-specific newsgroups and
>mailing lists.

I second this sentiment.  There are so many good reasons to keep things
consolidated.  I'd really rather not have to follow half a dozen different
newsgroups and mailing lists just to keep up with the 386/unix field.

Please don't chop us up.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (09/18/90)

This newsgroup seems to have very good response, and better readership
than any mailing list is likely to.

I have seen times recently when someone has posted here after trying
elsewhere first -- sounds like poorer response time to me.

With the newer, more far reaching binary interface that Intel and
AT&T are putting together, and that SCO, ISC, and the others have
agreed to, things are starting to come closer together.

Why would you want to take steps to move them farther apart?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

conklin@frith.uucp (Terry Conklin) (09/24/90)

would be a big help for me.

Currently, because of the growing number of 386-based UNIX systems, this
newsgroup has gotten extremely busy - to the point I can't afford to
read it because of the time.

You can't use kill commands or anything here. People are constantly
referencing 2 or 3 products in a posting. And if you search for ESIX as
a keyword you miss about a quarter of the relevant postings.

I'm also a little tired of the "great American melting-pot" theory of
newsgroups. Why do we screw everything up by HAVING newgroups? Clearly,
Usenet should be one, huge conference. Just _think_ of the value and
depth of the dicussion from all these people.

Apparently, there is a vocal community of netters who have nothing
better to do than read news all day. That's great, if you have the
option. I don't. And neither does anyone else I know. Let's keep the
facts up front: an interested party can always subscribe to a separate
mailing/group. You CAN'T get rid of unwanted postings. What's the point
of Usenet if people can't afford the time to participate?

Terry Conklin
conklin@egr.msu.edu
uunet!frith!conklin
The Club   (517) 372-3131

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) (09/24/90)

I am interested in this too.  Unfortunately my profession doesn't allow me
the time to moderate a mailing list myself, so I will have to rely on someone
else doing this.  I would be interested in participating though.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806