[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC 2K file system problems

jon@nucleus.mi.org (Jon Block) (09/16/90)

  I am having problems trying to use the 2K file system under ISC 2.0.2
  I am trying to create a 2K file system in the usr2 partition. The command
  I was using is "mkfs2K /dev/dsk/0s4 154836 1 306". This seems to create
  a file system, and I can mount it with "mount -f S52K /dev/dsk/0s4 /usr2.
  However, when I try to modify the file system by cp, mkdir, etc..., I get
  an error
	panic: iodone. S52K buffer with b_contig > 1
	trying to dump 928 pages.

 At this point I have to reboot my system, which is by the way.
	Gateway 2000 386-20
	8MB Memory
	Seagate 150MB ESDI Drive, w WD controller

  Please mail me any help you can give, as I can't find any information in
  the documentation I have, and I can't afford the cost of support.

In article <1990Sep16.013632.291@nucleus.mi.org> jon@nucleus.mi.org (Jon Block) writes:

>  I am having problems trying to use the 2K file system under ISC 2.0.2

Don't try to use the 2K file system in 386/ix 2.0.2.  It is a known bug
that there are some serious problems there that cause the system to panic.

If you have a need for 2K file systems, upgrade to ISC UNIX 2.2 (where they
are supposed to be fixed).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (09/19/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>If you have a need for 2K file systems, upgrade to ISC UNIX 2.2 (where they
>are supposed to be fixed).
     ^^^^^^^^

well, did anybody really try it yet? or is everybody waiting for the
first article 'problems with 2.2 2K file system' ? ;-)
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93

mcneild@spock (Doug McNeil) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep19.142511.8092@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>well, did anybody really try it yet? or is everybody waiting for the
>first article 'problems with 2.2 2K file system' ? ;-)
>--
I've been using a 2K file system on a 200MB SCSI drive for some time now
(Interactive 2.2). Traffic is not that high...typical developement stuff.
Oracle V6.0 is also in use on the disk. No problems have been experienced.

--
"Smokin" Doug McNeil			| uunet!mitel!spock!mcneild