[comp.unix.sysv386] Ultrastor ESDI controller compatible w/ SVR4?

teoh@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (09/21/90)

According the ad. specs, the controller (12F or 32F) is capable of
getting the average of 20mbps. It has 32K cache though it may have
only little use for UNIX but works great for DOS. The price and
performance ratio is pretty good.

I'm planning to have a combo of Ultrastor and Maxtor 8380E,
is this configuration allowed for use w/ SVR4?
Any other recommendations? Vendors' advice is welcome.

Hai-Chuan Teoh			   *	Email: teoh@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu
Electrical Engr & Computer Sci	   *      Tel: (312) 930-1942
Univ of Illinois 		   *

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep21.021133.8518@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu>,
teoh@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:
> According the ad. specs, the controller (12F or 32F) is capable of
> getting the average of 20mbps. It has 32K cache though it may have
> only little use for UNIX but works great for DOS.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't understand this statement, it makes no sense.  The cache is
very beneficial to both, although it would tend to make MORE of a
difference under UNIX than DOS.  There is usually a lot more disk
I/O under UNIX than a normal dos machine.

> The price and performance ratio is pretty good.
>
> I'm planning to have a combo of Ultrastor and Maxtor 8380E,
> is this configuration allowed for use w/ SVR4?
> Any other recommendations? Vendors' advice is welcome.

This controller works very well under both V3.2 and V4 (at least our
version ;-) anyway).

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299