[comp.unix.sysv386] PC/TCP 's API specifications

marcio@ax.UUCP (09/06/90)

Can anyone send me the PC/TCP (FTP Software) 's application program interface
for DOS ? Does FTP have any TCP/IP for Unix ???

Marcio Lima

jeff@xanadu.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) (09/25/90)

I tried to email to uunet!ax!marcio, but apparantly uunet doesn't
know about ax.  So I'm posting.

In article <1163900002@ax> Macio Lima writes:

>Can anyone send me the PC/TCP (FTP Software) 's application program interface
>for DOS ? Does FTP have any TCP/IP for Unix ???
>
>Marcio Lima

We have PC/TCP form ftp software.  I can't mail you the function call
interface because I think it is copyrighted and that would violate
my license.  However, I can tell you that it has a berkeley 4.2/4.3
BSD socket interface including select.  If you want to write a tighter
program on DOS you can access the pc/tcp routines directly.  It looks
pretty rich.  I think that if you give them a call you can get some
literature on what all the routines are.  We searched last year for
tcpip on DOS and this is what we came up with after checking all the
manufactures (like wollongong, etc.).

I don't think they have a unix product.  On SCO unix we are using SCO's
product which is really fron Lachman Associates (LAI).

Jeff Crilly (N6ZFX)
AMIX Corporation  2345 Yale Street  Palo Alto, CA  94306
jeff@amix.com, {uunet,sun}!markets!jeff, N6ZFX@N6IIU.#NOCAL.CA.USA

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (09/26/90)

>In article <1163900002@ax> Macio Lima writes:
>>
>>Can anyone send me the PC/TCP (FTP Software) 's application program interface
>>for DOS ? Does FTP have any TCP/IP for Unix ???
>>
>>Marcio Lima

PC/TCP is  probably a good product but it is worthless for developers.
Why?  Simple.  They want to charge a per-machine license fee of
around $200 for every copy of your product built using the library that
you sell or give away. And they seem to be extremely inflexable about
the situation.  I called in regards to another client a few months ago
and a collegue called yesterday and the story is the same.  The only
deviation the sales geek mentiones is that if one buys many, many copies
at once, the site license price is $75.00 ea. Which still has no
relavence to developers.

Until they get their act togehter and/or they get some real competition,
(wollingong does about the same crap), developers will be better off
taking something like PC/IP or ncsa TELNET and hacking out a library
from it - or writing one of your own.  The packet driver interface
makes the task pretty easy.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply