[comp.unix.sysv386] tunable parameters > max

cramerk@motcid.UUCP (Kristin J Cramer) (09/25/90)

Is it possible to change the maximum on a tunable parameter ??
Can I change the MAX value in the mtune file and rebuild the
kernel ??

The question arises from the need to take AT&T SysV 3.2 and
set the NSTRPUSH value to something greater than 9 (say 20).

Is this at all possible ??

Kris Cramer

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (09/25/90)

In <4444@ash14.UUCP> cramerk@motcid.UUCP (Kristin J Cramer) writes:

>Is it possible to change the maximum on a tunable parameter ??
>Can I change the MAX value in the mtune file and rebuild the
>kernel ??

>The question arises from the need to take AT&T SysV 3.2 and
>set the NSTRPUSH value to something greater than 9 (say 20).

>Is this at all possible ??

>Kris Cramer

With most parameters, the answer is yes. Some of the supposed
"Maximum values" defined by AT&T are quite frankly ludicrous.
For instance, ULIMIT is something like 6MB. I bump it to 256MB.
Similarly, many other parameters can be increased above the
"maximum". It really is *most* unhelpful to have misleading values
in this file. As to NSTRPUSH, I'm not sure whether this is a hard
limit. You can always try, and if it dies, revert to your old
kernel.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

In article <4444@ash14.UUCP> cramerk@motcid.UUCP (Kristin J Cramer) writes:
>Is it possible to change the maximum on a tunable parameter ??
>Can I change the MAX value in the mtune file and rebuild the
>kernel ??

It depends.  You can get away with this for many of the parameters (and
possibly all, but I haven't tested that).  The only way to know is to
try it, recompile the kernel, reboot and exercise the portion that you
changed.  (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP KERNEL LAYING AROUND THE ROOT
DIRECTORY WHEN YOU TRY THIS!!!!!!)

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (09/27/90)

In article <4444@ash14.UUCP> cramerk@motcid.UUCP (Kristin J Cramer) writes:
>Is it possible to change the maximum on a tunable parameter ??
>Can I change the MAX value in the mtune file and rebuild the
>kernel ??
>
>The question arises from the need to take AT&T SysV 3.2 and
>set the NSTRPUSH value to something greater than 9 (say 20).

Yes, you can change the Max value in the mtune, then use 'idtune' in
/etc/conf/bin to retune.  Use 'idbuild' to rebuild a new kernel.