[comp.unix.sysv386] UNIX database SW -- looking for recommendations

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (09/26/90)

We are looking for a database package to run on UNIX (Interactive or ESIX).

We need a few key features:

	1. Easy to program in a 4GL or database language.  Similarity to
	   DBaseII would be a definite plus.

	2. Compatibility with DBaseII program (and maybe database) files.

	3. Compiles to executable program (no interpreters/runtime
	   systems needed).

	4. No licensing fee.  We are developing a commercial
	   product, and don't want things to get legally or
	   financially complicated.

Currently, I am guessing the final choice will be one of

	1) SCO FoxBase+
	2) Informix
	3) Oracle

but we are very much open to suggestions.

Any comments?

				Jay Ts
				uunet!ateng!tscs!metran!jay

P.S.  Another possibility is to run DBaseIII or Clarion under VP/ix.  I
would like to know if this is a practical idea.  Is anyone doing this?

alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) (09/28/90)

In article <279@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
> We are looking for a database package to run on UNIX (Interactive or ESIX).
> We need a few key features:
> 	1. Easy to program in a 4GL or database language.  Similarity to
> 	   DBaseII would be a definite plus.
> 	2. Compatibility with DBaseII program (and maybe database) files.
> 	3. Compiles to executable program (no interpreters/runtime
> 	   systems needed).
> 	4. No licensing fee.  We are developing a commercial
> 	   product, and don't want things to get legally or
> 	   financially complicated.

> Currently, I am guessing the final choice will be one of
> 	1) SCO FoxBase+
> 	2) Informix
> 	3) Oracle

SCO Foxbase+ would not meet with criteria 2, 3, or 4 (which is a version of 3).

It is compatible with dBase III+ dbf files, but not index files. It is
compatible with DOS Foxbase+ index files. It is basically compatible with
dBase III+ programs.

SCO Foxbase+ "compiles" to a tokenized .fox file that requires one copy
of their runtime for each system that you wish to run it on (about $240
dealer cost). Unlimited runtimes are not available :(

--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >