[comp.unix.sysv386] Motif FileSelectionBox on SCO

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (09/27/90)

I've noticed some weirdness with the file selection box
running Motif 1.0 under SCO OpenDesktop 1.0. I have a bit
of a work-around, but if anyone has any information on
this, I'd appreciate it.

First, SCO's release notes document that the file selection box
does not work.  My normal experience seems to verify this.

If you compile on SCO with the Motif libraries and the PW
library (documented as necessary for the file selection box widget),
you always get a <No Match> in the list of file names portion
of a file selection box dialog. On SCO, I compile with:

	-lXm -lXt -lX11 -ltlisock -lsocket -lnsl_s -lPW

(The -ltlisock -lsocket -lnsl_s is specific to SCO's networking.)

And, I get the results above. If I also link in the x library

	-lXm -lXt -lX11 -lx -ltlisock -lsocket -lnsl_s -lPW

(libx.a, I think--SCO has two C compilers and I still haven't
figured out what's what--I'm using cc), then, I do get file names
in the list, but its missing the first two letters of each name. That
is, if the file is

	/u/erc/pm/foo.c

I see
	/u/erc/pm/o.c

That's better than the first result, above, but still not there.

If I instead skip the PW library, using:

	-lXm -lXt -lX11 -ltlisock -lsocket -lnsl_s

Then, the default is still

<No Match>

for the list of files. BUT, If I enter something different
in the file prompt--something other than the default "*",
then I can get a proper file name list. "*?" works to present
all the file names, but "?*" strangely doesn't. "*.c" works
to present all the names that end in ".c", as you would
expect. (The filter prompt shows the value of the dirMask resource,
unless I'm mistaken.)

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I definitely cannot
skip the PW library on a Data General AViiON or an HP 825
(both also at Motif 1.0).

I already have special compile options for SCO, so I don't mind
the differences (I generally shoot for the greatest compatibility,
if at all possible). But, I'd sure like to know what is going on.
Any ideas?

Should I just be writing my own fileSearchProc? I'd rather leverage
off the work of the Motif developers, but what the hey...

I really like the idea of the FileSelectionBox, since I think
it helps Motif applications maintain a consistency. I know when
I use the Macintosh, I like the fact that the Mac file selection
dialog is generally consistent across applications. X is hard
enough on users already, so I like anything that helps ease
the burden of learning applications and X.

Anyway, thanks,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson               phone: +1 612 894 0313    BTI: Industrial
Boulware Technologies, Inc.   fax:   +1 612 894 0316    automation systems

pizzi@esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) (09/28/90)

In article <1453@pai.UUCP>, erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:

> First, SCO's release notes document that the file selection box
> does not work.  My normal experience seems to verify this.

The FileSelectionBox on Motif 1.0 and 1.0a has almost two serious bug in it.
I posted a message long time ago on comp.sources.x with two fixes...
That's not a compilation problem, the trouble is in the source code.
Either get Motif 1.1 or patch the code (very easy indeed).

Rick
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software srl - ITALY
uunet: ....mcsun!i2unix!esacs!pizzi