[comp.unix.sysv386] Wiring terminals 300 ft. from the computer

jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) (09/18/90)

A company I am doing some work at needs to do some office rearanging as they
are rapidly filling up the space they have.   They are also about to get a
multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
of the terminals will be.
What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems.  Any suggestions
things to look out for,  tips etc would be much apriciated.

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (09/19/90)

In article <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
>A company I am doing some work at needs to do some office rearanging as they
>are rapidly filling up the space they have.   They are also about to get a
>multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
>locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
>of the terminals will be.
>What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
>good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
>with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems.  Any suggestions
>things to look out for,  tips etc would be much apriciated.

50 feet is supposed to be the max for serial cable, however I've seen runs
up to ~500 feet or so with no problems.  Your milage may vary.  4-wire is
usually good enuf, with a breakout box you can play with the signals and
figure out which ones your box and tubes require.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (09/19/90)

In article <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
->A company I am doing some work at needs to do some office rearanging as they
->are rapidly filling up the space they have.   They are also about to get a
->multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
->locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
->of the terminals will be.
->What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
->good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
->with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems.  Any suggestions
->things to look out for,  tips etc would be much apriciated.

Most modern terminals and drivers will run at 9600bps at up to 1000
feet.  Depending on where you are and local codes, you may have to use
wire with special insulation which will add to your cost.  If I were
you, I would look at running an ethernet the 300 feet to the center of
my office area and putting a 16 port terminal driver there.  (I forget
what the things are called.)  It will probably cost you about $200 per
line.  But running a single ethernet instead of a bunch of wires saves
money.

Ken

jeff@marichal.austin.ibm.com (Jeff Johnson) (09/19/90)

In <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:

>A company I am doing some work at needs to do some office rearanging as they
>are rapidly filling up the space they have.   They are also about to get a
>multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
>locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
>of the terminals will be.
>What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
>good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
>with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems.  Any suggestions
>things to look out for,  tips etc would be much apriciated.

The RS-232C standard (oxymoron?) limits the length of the cable to 50
feet.  However, I have installed cables up to 250 feet with only minor
noise problems.  (We had an AM radio station transmitter 1/2 mile away
and if the shielding wasn't grounded properly the wire acted like an
antenna.  It was very noticeable on our Merlin phone system cables that
ran parallel to the serial cables.)

We also ran a line about 500 feet using a passive modem from Black Box.
We always had lots of trouble with this one at 9600 baud.  It had a
tendency of hanging the serial port or crashing the board.  It worked
better at 2400 or 4800 baud.

I would suggest using 8-wire shielded twisted-pair and make sure you
ground the shielding and pick complimentary wires for the twisted-pairs.
Unless you have a very noisy environment or poor line drivers, it should
work.

You could also look into fiber-optics.

--
Jeff Johnson			10926 Jollyville Rd #1420
Computer Consultant		Austin, TX  78759  (512) 343 0675

usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson) (09/20/90)

In article <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
> locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
> of the terminals will be.
> What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
> good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people

The computone cluster controller lets me (one of my customers) use one
board in their 486 running Xenix 2.3.2, which connects to 4 cluster boxes.
The boxes are several hundred feed away, check specks.  Each box supports
16 terminals/printers.  I have not tried modems on these boxes, net users
have reported various modem/computone problems.  The "trunk" cable is custom,
you buy it from them.  It has 3 pair shielded, using a protocal similar
to RS422, balanced low impedance etc...

If you try it with just long wires, the shielded wire tends to have high
capacity/foot and may be a problem.   Also long wires tend to pick up
lightning charges like antenna, so have a pocked full of 7518[89] chips
handy.  The small guage "cheap" telephone wire tends to have a higher
characteristic impedance and work better on the rs232 interface.  Chose
your pairs well, don't pair tx/rx for instance.

Good luck, its a jungle.  No matter what you do, someone will second guess
you when that board breaks or lightning gets your terminal.  I have read
on the net that others have had good look with ARNET boards.

Just trying to help, no ax to grind, not trying to make a buck.
          John Watson   Middlesex NJ USA

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (09/20/90)

In article <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
>A company I am doing some work at needs to do some office rearanging as they
>are rapidly filling up the space they have.   They are also about to get a
>multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
>locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
>of the terminals will be.
>What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
>good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
>with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems.  Any suggestions
>things to look out for,  tips etc would be much apriciated.

You should probably look into one of the intelligent multiuser boards that
supports RS422.

There are several out there.  Anvil's individual ports can be made
selectively RS422 on a per/port basis, and I have seen at least one other
manufacturer that uses a 422 transmission scheme to it's breakout boxes,
where the first 8 ports can be up to 1000 feet from the computer, and each
additional 8 port box can be 1000' from the previous box.  The ports
themselves are rs232.

Using a 1.5Mbit transfer rate you are supposed to be able to support 32
terminals 38k.   I do remember seeing the board, and it may be a Computone
or Corollary - it has an ix in it's name.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

In article <1990Sep19.083601.21364@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>50 feet is supposed to be the max for serial cable, however I've seen runs
>up to ~500 feet or so with no problems.  Your milage may vary.  4-wire is
>usually good enuf, with a breakout box you can play with the signals and
>figure out which ones your box and tubes require.

The longer the run, the more help a shielded cable will be (over a
non-shielded).  We have runs of about 200' off of a megaport with no
problems running at 38.4.  They (Equinox) also have a special card
that allows runs up to 1000'.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

bruce@segue.segue.com (Bruce Adler) (09/21/90)

In article <jeff.653752463@marichal.austin.ibm.com> jeff@marichal.austin.ibm.com (Jeff Johnson) writes:
>I would suggest using 8-wire shielded twisted-pair and make sure you
>ground the shielding and pick complimentary wires for the twisted-pairs.
>Unless you have a very noisy environment or poor line drivers, it should
>work.

Believe it or not, sheilding actually reduces the maximum usable length
and speed.  For long runs only use sheiled cable if you're operating in
a noisy environment.  Also, be careful about your grouding.  Doing it
wrong will introduce ground-loops and just make things worse.
--
bruce@segue.com, ism.isc.com!segue!bruce, aero.org!segue!bruce

rjw@atti07.ATT.COM (Ralph J. Winslow x7774) (09/21/90)

-In <1990Sep19.083601.21364@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com
-
-50 feet is supposed to be the max for serial cable, however I've seen runs
-up to ~500 feet or so with no problems.  Your milage may vary.  4-wire is
-usually good enuf, with a breakout box you can play with the signals and
-figure out which ones your box and tubes require.

That's true, but be careful to use twisted pairs if you use 4-wire.
Actually, use twisted pair(s) whatever wire you use.

---
-Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
-Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

--			Ralph Winslow
			ulysses!attibr!atti07!rjw

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Steve Friedl) (09/21/90)

[ How to get long-distance RS-232 connections ]

Jeff Johnson writes:
> I would suggest using 8-wire shielded twisted-pair and make sure you
> ground the shielding and pick complimentary wires for the twisted-pairs.
> Unless you have a very noisy environment or poor line drivers, it should
> work.

It was always my impression that twisted pairs were to be used
for differential circuits (like RS-422?) where the two wires were
electrically related or if one of them is a ground.

While (say) CTS and RTS are "related" if one is looking at a
datacomm protocol, electrically they have no relationship to each
other, and twisting these wires together won't have any kind of
meaningful benefit.

Am I missing something?

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Jesse Helms for U.S. Supreme Court Justice

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (09/23/90)

> In article <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
>...multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
>locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
>of the terminals will be.
>What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
>good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
>with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems. Any suggestions

 The "official" limit is in the 50-75 ft range (I don't remember the exact no.
 and the context), but I you can go nuch higher.  The longest successful runs
 I know of were in the 1300-ft range (most of it through an elevator shaft, no
 less).

 So you will probably be ok, tho I doubt that anyone will "guarantee" such an
 installation.  But I would also look at a twisted pair ethernet/terminal ser-
 ver solution as an alternative.  It may not cost that much more - you need to
 purchase port card(s) for the UNIX box and a substantial amount of wire and
 connectors, so you are faced with a pretty large expense in what you described
 The terminal server solution should yield quicker screen writes and may be
 more efficient cpu-wise, while the solution overall should be more amenable to
 future expansion.

  greg pavlov, fstrf. amherst, ny

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (09/24/90)

rjw@atti07.ATT.COM (Ralph J. Winslow x7774) writes:

>-In <1990Sep19.083601.21364@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com
>	(Art Neilson) writes:
>->In <11774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
>-> ... multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is
>->to locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
>->of the terminals will be.
>->What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be ...

>That's true, but be careful to use twisted pairs if you use 4-wire.
>Actually, use twisted pair(s) whatever wire you use.

Wrong.  The purpose of twisted pair wire is to reduce coupling between
adjacent pairs and to reduce common mode pickup.  Since RS-232c is
a unipolar (unbalanced, common ground wire) scheme, neither of these
are applicable.  In fact, the twisted pair has a much higher capacitance
than unshielded twisted pair.  Adding a shield just increases
the capacitance (to ground).  The end effect is rise time deterioration.
The higher the frequency (baud rate), the worse the effect until no
signal makes it to the other end.

I have had no difficulties with 500ft runs of 4 conductor #26awg telephone
"station wire" at 19.2kb/s.  Yet I have several 30ft runs that barely
work.  The difference is that in the 30ft runs, the AC power grounds
were poor and about 10 volts (rms) of 60HZ crud appeared between the
computer and the terminal grounds.  Since the signal grounds between
the computer and terminals are all wired together (pin 7), the signal
appeared on top of the data.

The solution for this kind of grounding problem (found between buildings,
between floors, and creative electrical wiring) is to go balanced
(differential) drivers at one or both ends.  The idea is to eliminate
any ground loops.  There are "short haul modems" (which are sold
by Inmac, Black Box, Telebyte, and others for about $70/ea) which
convert unipolar RS-232 to balanced line and back.  Some are advertised
to go 6000 ft.  They require 4 wires per terminal.

Another solution is a cluster controller card.  I use Corollary products.
Their card will handle 4each of 8 port controllers to a max of 32 ports
per card.  Only 4 wires (balanced) go between the cpu and each cluster
controller.  I use these between floors and buildings.  One nice feature
is the ability to unplug a controller, watch the console complain, plug
it back, and continue without interruption.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave   Ben Lomond  CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager      CIS:73557,2074

floydd@chinet.chi.il.us (Floyd Davidson) (09/25/90)

In article <1142@atti07.ATT.COM> rjw@atti07.ATT.COM (Ralph J. Winslow x7774) writes:
>->What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be ...
>-
>-50 feet is supposed to be the max for serial cable, however I've seen runs
>-up to ~500 feet or so with no problems.  Your milage may vary.  4-wire is
>-usually good enuf, with a breakout box you can play with the signals and
>-figure out which ones your box and tubes require.
>
>That's true, but be careful to use twisted pairs if you use 4-wire.
>Actually, use twisted pair(s) whatever wire you use.

Pray tell what does using twisted pair wire do on an unbalanced
circuit?  Nothing.  Twisted pair will do wonders for common mode
rejection on balance telephone lines, maybe on RS-422, but nothing
for RS-232.

Floyd

bruce@segue.segue.com (Bruce Adler) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep25.052558.11002@chinet.chi.il.us> floydd@chinet.chi.il.us (Floyd Davidson) writes:
>Pray tell what does using twisted pair wire do on an unbalanced
>circuit?  Nothing.  Twisted pair will do wonders for common mode
>rejection on balance telephone lines, maybe on RS-422, but nothing
>for RS-232.

Not exactly nothing.  Try this experiment at home, hook up about 200-300
feet of twisted pair to the RD and TD pins of your favorite 9600 baud
terminal.  Leave the far end disconnected (this is the trick).  Now type
something on the keyboard.  The last time I tried this the unterminated
cable run magically echo-ed every character as if it was really attached
to a host port.  Can you say "inductive coupling"?
--
bruce@segue.com, ism.isc.com!segue!bruce, aero.org!segue!bruce

floydd@chinet.chi.il.us (Floyd Davidson) (09/28/90)

In article <3927@segue.segue.com> bruce@segue.segue.com (Bruce Adler) writes:
>In article <1990Sep25.052558.11002@chinet.chi.il.us> floydd@chinet.chi.il.us (Floyd Davidson) writes:
>>Pray tell what does using twisted pair wire do on an unbalanced
>>circuit?  Nothing.  Twisted pair will do wonders for common mode
>>rejection on balance telephone lines, maybe on RS-422, but nothing
>>for RS-232.
>
>Not exactly nothing.  Try this experiment at home, hook up about 200-300
>feet of twisted pair to the RD and TD pins of your favorite 9600 baud
>terminal.  Leave the far end disconnected (this is the trick).  Now type
>something on the keyboard.  The last time I tried this the unterminated
>cable run magically echo-ed every character as if it was really attached
>to a host port.  Can you say "inductive coupling"?

Can you say "capacitive"?  If the line was terminated and some current
flowed or if it was so long (a bigger capacitor) that significant
current flowed to charge it up, you might well get inductive
coupling.  But what you get with a couple hundred feet of unterminated
cable is the same thing you would get by just putting a capacitor
across the connector pins.  (Look up transmission line theory
for radio transmission and then realize that voice or even data
is the same thing at a lower frequency.)

Either way the last thing you want to use for RS-232 is twisted
pair.

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (09/28/90)

[...]
->Not exactly nothing.  Try this experiment at home, hook up about 200-300
->feet of twisted pair to the RD and TD pins of your favorite 9600 baud
->terminal.  Leave the far end disconnected (this is the trick).  Now type
->something on the keyboard.  The last time I tried this the unterminated
->cable run magically echo-ed every character as if it was really attached
->to a host port.  Can you say "inductive coupling"?
->--
->bruce@segue.com, ism.isc.com!segue!bruce, aero.org!segue!bruce

Or, more likely, capacitive coupling.  Inductive coupling would
require that there be a current path back from each wire.  Of course,
that current path could be capacitive and you could have a combination
of inductive and capacitive coupling, but in this case, I would expect
capacitive coupling to be the "culprit".

Ken