[comp.unix.sysv386] Which machines support SCO with over 8megs ram?

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) (09/20/90)

It is hard to believe we've had so much trouble with this, but we're having
difficulties working with SCO finding a hardware platform that will support
their OS with over 8megs of ram installed.  Does anyone have any firsthand
experience with this?  Our 2nd machine just got sent back.
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@SalesTech.COM 841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |

todd@slammer.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (09/20/90)

In article <144@stbimbo.UUCP> bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>It is hard to believe we've had so much trouble with this, but we're having
>difficulties working with SCO finding a hardware platform that will support
>their OS with over 8megs of ram installed.

I don't know about SCO, but I've seen Interactive Unix 2.2 running
on a Compaq/33MHz with 16M of memory.  The performance is astounding.

   Todd Merriman
   Software Toolz, Inc.
   8030 Pooles Mill Dr., Ball Ground, GA 30107-9610
   todd@slammer.UUCP, V-mail (800) 869-3878, (404) 889-8264

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (09/21/90)

In article <144@stbimbo.UUCP> bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>It is hard to believe we've had so much trouble with this, but we're having
>difficulties working with SCO finding a hardware platform that will support
>their OS with over 8megs of ram installed.  Does anyone have any firsthand
>experience with this?  Our 2nd machine just got sent back.

I find that hard to believe - are you running on some clone machines that
was designed with DOS only in mind.

I have a client with a Wyse 386, running SCO, and it's chugging along
merrily with 12 megs in it.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/21/90)

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
> It is hard to believe we've had so much trouble with this, but we're having
> difficulties working with SCO finding a hardware platform that will support
> their OS with over 8megs of ram installed.  Does anyone have any firsthand
> experience with this?  Our 2nd machine just got sent back.

We're running ODT on an AGI 386/25 with 10MB of memory (2MB on the
motherboard, 8MB on a 32-bit memory card).  AGI is Everex's "common
clone" line.

I believe ODT works on the Everex STEP machines with >8MB, but I don't
have one that's actually set up and running to verify this.

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the

larry@tapa.uucp (Larry Pajakowski) (09/29/90)

We have an ALR 3000 at work which runs nicely with 24mb. of RAM.  This was
with SCO Unix 3.2v2.  Previous versions only noticed 16mb. though.

Larry