[comp.unix.sysv386] TEAC SCSI floppy drives and ISC UNIX

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (09/30/90)

mark@motcsd.csd.mot.com (Mark Jeghers) writes:

>Suppose I want to set up a third (or even fourth) floppy drive?  Can
>Interactive 2.2 talk to it?  Would there be a particular controller
>board I'd have to use?  Has anyone had any experience with this?

I have been thinking about this when I saw an add of TEAC
describing a SCSI bridge controller for standard AT floppy
drives and floppy drives with embedded SCSI controllers.

I don't really need more then 2 drives, but I would like
them to be faster then the regular drives with the ISC
floppy driver ( we have to write LOTS of floppies)
and I would also welcome parallel operation of two floppies.

But I suspect there will be problems reading and writing
DOS file structures. The ISC dossette utility has device
name hard-coded into it (unlike the SCO dos utilities).
The drive will probably present itself as a SCSI
tape unit, so lacking a block device, mount -f DOS
will not succeed either.

In fact, it may not work at all, as I have not tried anything.
Maybe someone has?
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim