[comp.unix.sysv386] What the . . .

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (09/30/90)

I am trying to put news on a workstation at work and get email
going. I just installed a trailblazer 1000 and now I am doing
cu to test the port. I can cu out, from my tty01 (tty00 is a mouse
port). The problem is after I disconnect from cu, I cannot run
cu again - it will complain "connection failed - Device Locked".
The problem is that there isnt any lock in /usr/spool/locks/LCK..*

whenever I get a message like that, I notice that the trailblazer DTR
flashes (once) and goes off. Turning the TB1000 off and on wont help at all.

Any other place I should check for locks? the permission for the
port is crw-rw-rw so that shouldnt be a problem.

Anyways, its an ISC2.0.2, running a 14 slot Monothic system 386, 25mh -
if that matters. (there is a 3C503 enet card but its running on IRQ5).

thanks in advance -

/bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (10/02/90)

Few days ago I wrote:
>I am trying to put news on a workstation at work and get email
>going. I just installed a trailblazer 1000 and now I am doing
>cu to test the port. I can cu out, from my tty01 (tty00 is a mouse
>port). The problem is after I disconnect from cu, I cannot run
>cu again - it will complain "connection failed - Device Locked".
>The problem is that there isnt any lock in /usr/spool/locks/LCK..*

I found it -

	I turned on /etc/lockd for some testing (to see if it would
work in client mode over nfs) and forgot to turn it off. That turned
out to be the problem. I sure hope when ISC finally gets the lockd
to run, the 'cu' problem will not pop up again with the 'correct' version
of /etc/lockd.

	thanks to all who replied to me on this problem . . .

	bruce
	deadhead@cup.portal.com

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (10/03/90)

Hi netlanders -

How does one configure a telebit (T1000) to run on an ISC2.02 with the
following requirements:

1. Run UUCP outbound polling mode
2. Enable remote log in with terminal sessions
3. Enable cu(1) occasionally.

???

I have, from telebit, the following configuration parameters:

at &f s51=4 s52=2 s53=1 s54=1 s58=2 s66=1 s110=1 s111=30 s45=0 q4 &w <cr>

but I cannot seem to enable uugetty in bidirectional mode (it talks to
itself and eventually complains about getty spawning too fast). When I
tried cu with this configuration I could not even get into the terminal
mode with the modem (it kept dropping me back to the shell)... I am sure
there is something wrong with the DCD and DTR interpretations and timing,
but what's the magic number?

thanks for any hints -

(please email)

bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com

In article <34483@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>How does one configure a telebit (T1000) to run on an ISC2.02 with the
>following requirements:
>
>1. Run UUCP outbound polling mode
>2. Enable remote log in with terminal sessions
>3. Enable cu(1) occasionally.

Read the FAQ posting (especially the part about bi-directional modem
ports (question 13)).  If you don't have a copy of the posting, send
me email & I will forward it to you (However, it was just posted
to this newsgroup, so you should have it on your system).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170