[comp.unix.sysv386] HARD DRIVES INTERNATIONAL BEWARE !!!!

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (10/03/90)

In article <5778@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes...

>Moral of the Story:
>
>If you buy from HDI don't prepay.

Well, I just phoned in an order yesterday and gave them my credit card #.  I
ordered a 100MB Connor IDE drive.  If I have any problems, you'll be hearing
from me on the net.

Jim (who isn't having a cow *yet*)

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (10/04/90)

The Conner 104 MB drive I ordered on Monday, that I was supposed to receive
by Friday, arrived *today* (Wednesday).  Everything came up OK.  Call me
a satisfied customer.

jim

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (10/04/90)

In comp.unix.sysv386, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

> Well here's the story:
     [ ... ]
> Moral of the Story:
>
> If you buy from HDI don't prepay.

     I seem to recall hearing similar rumors about this company several
months back.  Because of these rumors, I avoided this company.

     Six months ago, I bought an Adaptec 1542B SCSI card and a 300MB
half-height SCSI drive (CDC Wren VI, I think) from "DC Drives", a
company that advertises in Computer Shopper.  Not only were they
courteous, but the disk arrived within 1 week of my ordering it.  The
disk has been running great, and I've had no problems with it.

     Some people may want to check out this company if they are looking
for hard disks.  Granted, one data point does not make a trend, but I'd

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (10/06/90)

In article <5778@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

>Well here's the story:
>
>On September 14 I ordered an Adeptec 1542B and a Micropolis
>160MB hd from HDI...
>Fine, I said. So having delt with them before and
>having no problems, I marched down to my friendly bank and
>wired the money...
>Well it's October 1st and I still have NO drive. HDI has
>my money and I feel like a sucker. Numerous calls to Joe
>are resulting in the same answer. "It should be shipping
>today"

COD and bank cards are wonderful inventions, and I've always
agreed to pay the bank card "surcharges":  a few percent is
a bargain for the ability to enlist the bank in retrieving
your $$$ when a vendor won't make good on his commitment.
I've had the experience very rarely: only once in years
of mail-ordering.  I think that a couple of refunds for faulty
boards etc. came faster, however, because I'd paid with plastic.
In this way plastic is much than COD.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (10/11/90)

>     Six months ago, I bought an Adaptec 1542B SCSI card and a 300MB
>half-height SCSI drive (CDC Wren VI, I think) from "DC Drives", a
>company that advertises in Computer Shopper.  Not only were they
>courteous, but the disk arrived within 1 week of my ordering it.  The
>disk has been running great, and I've had no problems with it.
>
>     Some people may want to check out this company if they are looking
>for hard disks.  Granted, one data point does not make a trend, but I'd

As one more data point, I've purchased a few drives from these guys,
(Dirt Cheap Drives), and I agree.  Good fast service, and some of the
best prices around.  I got a pair of CDC Wren-IV's (766meg) from them
last year for ~$2200, when everyone else was quoting $2900.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com