[comp.unix.sysv386] MicroPort Unix V/386

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (10/04/90)

I am using MicroPort's implementation of Unix (sys V/386).
I have a 386/20 with a 67 MB hard disk and 5 MB of RAM.

When I install the software, it asks me if I want to save
a part of the hard disk for DOS.  When I reply YES, it asks
me for the number of cylinders, 0-644.  However much I
allocate, it place DOS as the first partition, starting at 1,
with the Unix partition following.

My question is, according to the documentation, NO partition
should begin at 0 or 1.  That is reserved for something else.
I see no way to specify where to begin the partition.

It IS causing a problem, because after I install Unix, then
active partition, the next time I turn on my computer, the
boot sector has been wiped out and FDISK says that there are
NO partitions.

Any help???
Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

tony@mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) (10/05/90)

From article <1071@digi.lonestar.org>, by mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman):
> I am using MicroPort's implementation of Unix (sys V/386).
> However much I
> allocate, it place DOS as the first partition, starting at 1,
> with the Unix partition following.

This is a DOS thing, It must be the first partition.

> My question is, according to the documentation, NO partition
> should begin at 0 or 1.  That is reserved for something else.
> I see no way to specify where to begin the partition.

The first (0) sector (not partition) is the boot sector,
followed by the fdisk info, I believe. Partitions don't
start until the second track, which depends on your drive's sectors/track.

> It IS causing a problem, because after I install Unix, then
> active partition, the next time I turn on my computer, the
> boot sector has been wiped out and FDISK says that there are
> NO partitions.

Gotcha!

1) make sure you don't allocate more then 32Mb (dos limit) of cyls to
   the Unix partitioner.

2) format the dos partition with dos 3.21-3.3 only.
   DOS4.01 may over-write the UNIX fdisk info.

3) DO NOT change the fdisk info with ANYTHING other then the original
   program, in this case, the UNIX partitioner. Note that if you change
   from Unix to dos as the active partition, you can't get back.

4) if you must boot dos, use a floppy. set up an autoexec.bat on the dos
   partition that sets the path and COMSPEC to C:...

This feature? is do to the fact that the boot sector anf fdisk info are
tied together AND that microsoft changed them from rev to rev of dos.
for the sake of argument the Microport's partitioner is DOS 3 compatible.
by sys-ing or fdisk-ing from dos, you run the risk of confusing either
the boot code, or the fdisk info it uses.

| \      / |     /=|     /=|      Tony Becker           MCRSYS Florida
 \ \    / /       ||      ||      uunet!mcrsys!tony     (813) 799-1836 (voice)
  \ \  / /        ||      ||
   \ \/ /         ||      ||      Opinions expressed are my own, and don't
    \  /          ||      ||      necessarily reflect those of any other
    /  \          ||      ||      members of my species.
   / /\ \         ||      ||        -It's nice to live in a society where this
  / /  \ \        ||      ||         is possible, and not a capital crime!
 / /    \ \       ||      ||
| /      \ |    |====|  |====|

rbj@druhi.ATT.COM (Russell B. Jorgensen) (10/05/90)

in article <1071@digi.lonestar.org>, mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) says:

> It IS causing a problem, because after I install Unix, then
> active partition, the next time I turn on my computer, the
> boot sector has been wiped out and FDISK says that there are
> NO partitions.
>
> Any help???
> --
> Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
>                                 OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

I don't recall ever having a problem starting a DOS partition on cylinder
0, but I'm running on a 286 system.  I wouldn't think it would make a
difference, though, since DOS is DOS is DOS ...  However, to overcome
your immediate problem, when you install UNIX, you can allocate a DOS
partition 2 cylinders larger than you need, then go back with fdisk to
delete the DOS partition, and re-create it with the correct size starting
at cylinder 2.  I would think this would keep anything from scribbling
on the first two cylinders.

Russ Jorgensen
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Denver, CO

In article <15@mcrsys.UUCP> tony@mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) writes:
>From article <1071@digi.lonestar.org>, by mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman):
>> However much I
>> allocate, it place DOS as the first partition, starting at 1,
>> with the Unix partition following.
>
>This is a DOS thing, It must be the first partition.

No, it is actually a UNIX thing.  DOS doesn't care where it sits on the
disk drive as long as the fdisk table correctly maps it out.  UNIX usually
enforces that DOS be first because it then allows unix to use up the rest
of the disk (including any cylinders beyond 1024 - which doss couldn't
access)

>1) make sure you don't allocate more then 32Mb (dos limit) of cyls to
>   the Unix partitioner.

should be "to the DOS partition when using the Unix partitioner"

>4) if you must boot dos, use a floppy. set up an autoexec.bat on the dos
>   partition that sets the path and COMSPEC to C:...

I know many people that have a program/shell that changes the "active"
partition and reboots the system so that they can reboot to dos and
vice-versa.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/07/90)

In article <1990Oct06.123144.10914@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=I know many people that have a program/shell that changes the "active"
=partition and reboots the system so that they can reboot to dos and
=vice-versa.

Do you think that one of them would be willing to share his/her code
with us?  Does one of them have a "screen blanker" of the sort that
turns off the screen after N minutes of no keystrokes at the console?  Thanks.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (10/08/90)

>From my original posting. . .
>> I am using MicroPort's implementation of Unix (sys V/386).
>>
>> My question is, according to the documentation, NO partition
>> should begin at 0 or 1.  That is reserved for something else.
>> I see no way to specify where to begin the partition.
>>
>> It IS causing a problem, because after I install Unix, then
>> active partition, the next time I turn on my computer, the
>> boot sector has been wiped out and FDISK says that there are
>> NO partitions.

Well, I stumbled across the answer myself.  Thanks for all of the

The disk is formatted with the first partition as DOS and the
second as UNIX.  If you are running UNIX and wish to change
the active partition, you MUST use the UNIX FDISK.  If you are
using DOS and wish to change the active partition, you MUST use
the DOS FDISK.

I had been running under UNIX and I placed an MS-DOS boot disk
in drive A and reset the machine.  After is booted, I used
the DOS FDISK to change the active partition.

Oh well. . . I didn't know any better at the time.--
Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

ie43gn1f@dingbat.fiu.edu (Student - 44) (10/10/90)

I think there is a myth about DOS4.0 and greater and Unix partitions.
Despite what the documentation said, I was able to successfully
install SCO Unix and DOS 4.01 on the same drive, both with bootable
partitions.  Maybe Dos got smart?!

Unix partitions use sector 0, if possible, set up the DOS partition
to start at 1. DOS 4.01 didn't give me any choice, and it worked
out ok...

Wolf

plocher@sally.Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (10/11/90)

| > My question is, according to the documentation, NO partition
| > should begin at 0 or 1.  That is reserved for something else.
| > I see no way to specify where to begin the partition.
|
| The first (0) sector (not partition) is the boot sector,
| followed by the fdisk info, I believe. Partitions don't
| start until the second track, which depends on your drive's sectors/track.

I see by other messages that your other questions were answered, so I won't
address them.  But....

A) Your documentation is wrong and
B) The reply you got is wrong.

The MBB (Master Boot Block) is located at [0,0,0] (that is,
cyl 0, head 0, sector 0)  It looks like this:

      Byte
	0 +---------+
	  | Boot    |
	  |  code   |
	  |         |
	  ~         ~
	  |         |
	  |---------|
	  |partition|
	  |  table  |
     512  +---------+

The IBM documentation (the one that counts :-) states that
all partitions start at [*,0,0] except the first, which starts
at [0,0,1] (because, of course, the MBB is already using [0,0,0] :-).

The MBB boot code simply scans the partition table for the active
partition's starting location, loads in the first block found there
at a well known address (which, of course, I forgot), and jumps to it.

This PBB code (Partition Boot Block) then does whatever is needed to
bootstrap the OS that lives on that partition - like loading in
the MSDOS.SYS file or the Microport Unix secondary boot code.  In
the uport case, this secondary boot code is what looks for, loads,
and starts running the /unix program.

More senile ramblings from

 -John Plocher

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (10/13/90)

In <15@mcrsys.UUCP> tony@mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) writes:

>3) DO NOT change the fdisk info with ANYTHING other then the original
>   program, in this case, the UNIX partitioner. Note that if you change
>   from Unix to dos as the active partition, you can't get back.

This isn't true in my experience.
There is no problem at all in re-setting the active partition
to Unix within DOS, and rebooting.
In fact I do it both ways regularly.

--

Timothy Murphy