[comp.unix.sysv386] FAS with NS16550A versus a smart serial card?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (10/12/90)

Does anyone have any comparative data between running a fast uucp
connection with an NS16550A port with the FAS driver versus one
of the smarter serial cards?

I'm interested specifically in the system loading and the uucp
throughput.  I have a suspicion that the difference is be very small,
but I don't have any way to find out for sure at the moment.

Thanks.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/12/90)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>Does anyone have any comparative data between running a fast uucp
>connection with an NS16550A port with the FAS driver versus one
>of the smarter serial cards?

I don't have any numbers for you - but I can tell you that we
are running with a Computone Intelliport here on nstar - and with
4 high speed modem sessions running - the system is just as fast as
without any modem connections (it boogies regardless).

We were some time ago using FAS - the serial IO was fast - but
the system would appear to get bogged down with 4 high speed
modems all going full blast (with high speed connections)..

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (10/14/90)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

|Does anyone have any comparative data between running a fast uucp
|connection with an NS16550A port with the FAS driver versus one
|of the smarter serial cards?
|I'm interested specifically in the system loading and the uucp
|throughput.

Well, I have observed a big difference. I had a serial card with
no 16550, and I got olny about 700 bytes/sec., with the 16550 I now
have up to 1800 bytes/sec. And I don't think I'm the only one
who experienced this...

Cheers,
Frank
--