[comp.unix.sysv386] Fortran compiler?

I need a 386 fortran compiler that meets the following
requirements (in order of importance):

	1. Must be a UNIX compiler since UNIX is the development and
	   production environment.
	2. Supports the AT&T mechanism for reading data files by setting
	   record length to 1 byte which then causes the read function to
	   to continue getting data until the argument list is satisfied.

	   This is required so that tens of thousands of lines of code don't
	   have to be modified.
	3. supports very large data segments (on the order of 4 to 8 MB)
	4. supports weitek co-processor
	5. relatively good performance (willing to give up a bit here
	   if we can meet 1, 2, & 3).

It doesn't matter which UNIX the compiler is for (the OS choice will
be driven by the acceptability of the fortran compiler available under
that OS).

FYI - Neither the Green Hills nor Microway NDP fortran compilers meet
requirement number 2.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (10/11/90)

On 8 Oct 90 15:05:57 GMT, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) said:

cpcahil> I need a 386 fortran compiler that meets the following
cpcahil> requirements (in order of importance): [ ... ]

cpcahil> It doesn't matter which UNIX the compiler is for (the OS choice will
cpcahil> be driven by the acceptability of the fortran compiler available under
cpcahil> that OS).

Use the damnable fotran to c translator from At&t. It is *excellent*,
and pretty fast as well. It has an extensive library, it is free, and
with full sources. It can be found on inet.att.con, under the /dist
directory. Installing it under almost any Unix is a snap (I did it under
ESIX).
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

In article <PCG.90Oct10214134@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>Use the damnable fotran to c translator from At&t. It is *excellent*,
>and pretty fast as well. It has an extensive library, it is free, and
>with full sources. It can be found on inet.att.con, under the /dist
>directory. Installing it under almost any Unix is a snap (I did it under
>ESIX).

Does anybody know where this stuff is available via anon uucp or mail-server?

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

ian@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ian R. Searle) (10/17/90)

One caveat, It does not appear that f2c would be usefull for
development of FORTRAN programs (but who wants to do that anyway?)
due to the lack of debugging capability.