[comp.unix.sysv386] 386/ix 2.20 and 12 megs RAM

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/09/90)

does the 2.20 release of 386/ix fully support
motherboards with 12 megs of ram (can the OS
use all 12 megs)??  Someone told me that 386/ix
will only use 8 megs for the OS, and the other
4 megs could be used by ramdisks - but not by
the OS..

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (10/10/90)

From article <1990Oct09.160925.1433@nstar.uucp>, by larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder):
> does the 2.20 release of 386/ix fully support
> motherboards with 12 megs of ram (can the OS
> use all 12 megs)??  Someone told me that 386/ix
> will only use 8 megs for the OS, and the other
> 4 megs could be used by ramdisks - but not by
> the OS..

   Hello Larry,

I am running Interactive UNIX 2.2 on an 80486 system, and from what I can
see it is addressing all 12meg of avalible memory.  I am now debating the
possibility of expanding to 13 or 16 meg of main memory.  Hope this is
what you were looking for...

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
Telephone : (301)-576-8635		|	Baltimore, MD  21202

In article <1990Oct09.160925.1433@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>does the 2.20 release of 386/ix fully support
>motherboards with 12 megs of ram (can the OS

Both 2.0.2 386/ix and ISC UNIX 2.2 will make full use of 16MB of memory. I
have heard, but not tested that ISC UNIX 2.2 will also make full use of
memory above 16MB on EISA machines with EISA controllers.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

aland@informix.com (alan denney) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct09.160925.1433@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>does the 2.20 release of 386/ix fully support
>motherboards with 12 megs of ram (can the OS
>use all 12 megs)??  Someone told me that 386/ix
>will only use 8 megs for the OS, and the other
>4 megs could be used by ramdisks - but not by
>the OS..

That doesn't make much sense and would be a serious limitation, since
machines on their supported list can accomodate up to 64MB.

I can see problems going over 16MB on ISA bus machines, but I don't
see why 12MB would be a problem.  Does anybody know how they handle
DMA in ISA bus machines with > 16 MB?  (e.g. what they do in lieu
of AT&T's DMAABLEBUF parm).

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 "That money talks I'll not deny.

In article <1990Oct10.223330.11537@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>Both 2.0.2 386/ix and ISC UNIX 2.2 will make full use of 16MB of memory. I
>have heard, but not tested that ISC UNIX 2.2 will also make full use of
>memory above 16MB on EISA machines with EISA controllers.

EISA only???   AT&T's 3.2 can use > 16MB on any machine, though DMA
gets rather goofy...

I see no technical barrier to supporting > 16MB on MCA, either...
do they say why they don't?

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

I'm Pro-Anarchy...   and I Vote!

In article <1990Oct17.004229.27762@informix.com> aland@informix.com (alan denney) writes:
>In article <1990Oct09.160925.1433@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> [question about isc unix & > 12MB of ram deleted]
>
>That doesn't make much sense and would be a serious limitation, since
>machines on their supported list can accomodate up to 64MB.

ISC (throught thier sales branch) claims to only handle 16MB in the
current release (and the 2.2.1 release due RSN).  I don't yet have
a system to test this, but I will shortly be setting up a system with 32MB
of ram to test it.  If ISC can't handle it, then the only choice will be
to use SCO (which claims to handle >16MB with the 3.2.2 release).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct18.133651.27511@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
]
]ISC (throught thier sales branch) claims to only handle 16MB in the
]current release (and the 2.2.1 release due RSN).  I don't yet have
]a system to test this, but I will shortly be setting up a system with 32MB
]of ram to test it.  If ISC can't handle it, then the only choice will be
]to use SCO (which claims to handle >16MB with the 3.2.2 release).
]

	I run AT&T's UNIX 3.2.2 on a 6386 ISA machine with 32 megs
	memory.  AT&T must do something special with their DMA
	stuff.

	-randy

--
Randy Suess