[comp.unix.sysv386] UNIX binary compatibility

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (10/19/90)

In article <15169@netcom.UUCP> jim@netcom.UUCP (Jim Nelson) writes:
>Are Interactive Unix 386/ix 2.0.2 and AT&T System V/386 Release
>3.2.2 binary compatible?  I would like to run X-windows binary
>(compiled on Interactive using GCC 1.37.1) on a 386 running
>AT&T Release 3.2.2.  If not, does anyone know where I can get
>the X-window binaries for AT&T Unix?  Any suggestions would
>be very helpfull.

Interactive and AT&T are highly binary compatible however any program
which makes use of ISC's various bits of wondrous value adding -- extra
ioctl's etc -- may bomb on vanilla AT&T.  X is pretty complicated.  I
would try to build it on the target OS just as a matter of principle.

--
A doubled signature is the devil's work. ** Tom Neff <tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM>
--

jim@netcom.UUCP (Jim Nelson) (10/19/90)

Are Interactive Unix 386/ix 2.0.2 and AT&T System V/386 Release
3.2.2 binary compatible?  I would like to run X-windows binary
(compiled on Interactive using GCC 1.37.1) on a 386 running
AT&T Release 3.2.2.  If not, does anyone know where I can get
the X-window binaries for AT&T Unix?  Any suggestions would
be very helpfull.

					Jim Nelson
					uunet!amdahl!netcom!jim

In article <15169@netcom.UUCP> jim@netcom.UUCP (Jim Nelson) writes:
>Are Interactive Unix 386/ix 2.0.2 and AT&T System V/386 Release
>3.2.2 binary compatible?  I would like to run X-windows binary
>(compiled on Interactive using GCC 1.37.1) on a 386 running
>AT&T Release 3.2.2.  If not, does anyone know where I can get
>the X-window binaries for AT&T Unix?  Any suggestions would
>be very helpfull.

The binaries are somewhat compatible.  However, the communication
mechanism used to talk to the local server is probably different.  You
could run the binary if you were talking to a server on a different
machine.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170