[comp.unix.sysv386] FAS Help

paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) (10/18/90)

I need help configuring FAS 2.07.  I just picked up a 4 Port AST card
and have installed 4 16550 UARTS on it.  The cable assembly is wired so all
of the DB-25's are DTE-DCE.  I configured FAS:
Interrupt: 5
Ports at:  0x2a0,  0x2a8,  0x2b0,  0x2b8
Port Address: 0x2bf

On boot I get [FFFF], so all ports are initialized and have FIFOs (NS16550).

Now the nasty part.

I want to connect terminals to 3 of the ports and a modem to the remaining
port.  I have tried numerous minor node combinations, but all have failed
usually resulting in an immortal process that can't be killed.  So, how
do I:

 1) Configure FAS (space.c) for my arrangement?
 2) What are the correct minor nodes for this arrangement?
 2) What cabling configuration?  (What lines and what states).

Thanks.

Paul.

--
Paul J. Emerson                           SDG Division of SAIC
Senior Technical Manager                  450 Lakemont Ave.

johnk@opel.COM (John Kennedy) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.162816.5597@sdgsun.uucp> paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:
+
+
+
+ I need help configuring FAS 2.07.  I just picked up a 4 Port AST card
+ and have installed 4 16550 UARTS on it.  The cable assembly is wired so all
+ of the DB-25's are DTE-DCE.  I configured FAS:
+ Interrupt: 5
+ Ports at:  0x2a0,  0x2a8,  0x2b0,  0x2b8
+ Port Address: 0x2bf
                ^^^^
I'm not sure what you mean by the last statement, but let's go on...

+ On boot I get [FFFF], so all ports are initialized and have FIFOs (NS16550).

Good, we know the driver can see the I/O

+ Now the nasty part.

+ I want to connect terminals to 3 of the ports and a modem to the remaining
+ port.  I have tried numerous minor node combinations, but all have failed
+ usually resulting in an immortal process that can't be killed.  So, how
+ do I:

I have done all of the above and have both modems and terminals working with
minor addresses of 48 and 208, for tty*0, getty version and otherwise.

You don't mention if any of the lines worked or where the failures started.
However, I recently fiddled with a card with a missing IRQ trace and experienced
your symptons.  The first character would go out, the driver would wait for
a interrupt on completion (as well it should), but nothing.  The process was
unkillable, as it was waiting on a "sure thing."  You don't mention if
the card shared interrupts among the four ports or if some work and others
don't.  FAS and shared interrupts do get along rather well.

As the FAQ for this ng reminds us, IRQ2 is mapped to IRQ9.  There is,
however, nothing that keeps you from setting up FAS inadvertantly
to specify IRQ2.  This would also result in your symptoms.  If you use
IRQ2, just be sure to specify 9 in both space.c.

Your cabling requirements should be traditional.
--
John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.COM
Second Source, Inc.

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (10/20/90)

paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:

>I want to connect terminals to 3 of the ports and a modem to the remaining
>port.  I have tried numerous minor node combinations, but all have failed
>usually resulting in an immortal process that can't be killed.  So, how
>do I:
>
> 1) Configure FAS (space.c) for my arrangement?
> 2) What are the correct minor nodes for this arrangement?
> 2) What cabling configuration?  (What lines and what states).

Unfortunately, you didn't tell us anything about the capabilities of
the devices you want to connect to the serial ports.

Please specify whether your modem has full duplex RTS/CTS hardware flow
control. Do your terminals have any hardware flow control? And do you
want the running process terminated by a SIGHUP signal as soon as you
switch off the terminal, or should it continue to run ignoring whether
the terminal is on or off?

You have to figure these things out yourself before you or someone
else can decide which minor device numbers and which cabling should
be used.

       Uwe
--
Uwe Doering  |  Domain   : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de