[comp.unix.sysv386] How to access dos partition from vpix?

dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) (10/17/90)

I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
from vpix. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks.

Dick Schlotfeldt   dick@cimcor.mn.org
St. Paul, MN

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.160116.27818@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
>from vpix. Can you enlighten me?

You don't say what Unix you're running -- If it's Esix, it can't be done.

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.160116.27818@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
=I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
=from vpix. Can you enlighten me?
=
=Thanks.
=
=Dick Schlotfeldt   dick@cimcor.mn.org
=St. Paul, MN

Do you have the dosslice command?  If so, run it and note the /dev/...
pathname.  Then edit vpix.cnf and associate that /dev/... with drive D.

This, by way of disclaimer, is what works with Simul-Task and SV/386 R3.2.2.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.214826.5940@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1990Oct17.160116.27818@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>>I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
>>from vpix. Can you enlighten me?
>
>You don't say what Unix you're running -- If it's Esix, it can't be done.

Is this really true?

Under AT&T and suchlike products, you run a Unix executable called
'dosslice' which goes out and creates one or more new /dev/rdsk devices
corresponding to the DOS partition(s).  You then feed these device names
to VP/ix in 'vpix.cnf':

	D		/dev/rdsk/0s5

Now what I have noticed is that not everyone seems to have the
'dosslice' program or its equivalent.  Some shrinkwrap vendors seem not
to include it with their VP/ix products.  Therefore the user can't
create these devices.  But is the kernel support actually there anyway?
If you could run, say, the AT&T dosslice, would the resulting devices be
usable under Esix?  I can't try the experiment, I'm just asking.

--
"A man came into the the office one day and said he  \|/  Tom Neff
was a sailor.  We cured him of that." - Mark Twain,  -O-  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (10/20/90)

Please, PLEASE everybody; the unix-pc groups are dedicated to discussion
of the AT&T 7300/3B1/Unix-PC, a 68010-based unix box.  They are NOT
intended as a general forum to talk about "unix" on "pc's".  Many of us
are paying long-distance phone bills to get our own newsfeeds so could you
please move this to a more appropriate group?

Thanks!

 ==    Boyd Ostroff, Tech Director   ==     Sys Admin, "The CallBoard"      ==
||||  Dept of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  ||||   Serving the Performing Arts     ||||
||||        (315) 341-2987          ||||  315-947-6414 1200/2400 baud 8N1  ||||
 ==     ostroff@oswego.oswego.edu    ==   cboard!sysop@oswego.oswego.edu    ==

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (10/20/90)

In article <15974@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
+In article <1990Oct18.214826.5940@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
+>In article <1990Oct17.160116.27818@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
+>>I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
+>>from vpix. Can you enlighten me?
+>
+>You don't say what Unix you're running -- If it's Esix, it can't be done.
+
+Is this really true?
+
+Under AT&T and suchlike products, you run a Unix executable called
+'dosslice' which goes out and creates one or more new /dev/rdsk devices
+corresponding to the DOS partition(s).  You then feed these device names
+to VP/ix in 'vpix.cnf':
+
+	D		/dev/rdsk/0s5
+
+Now what I have noticed is that not everyone seems to have the
+'dosslice' program or its equivalent.  Some shrinkwrap vendors seem not
+to include it with their VP/ix products.  Therefore the user can't
+create these devices.  But is the kernel support actually there anyway?
+If you could run, say, the AT&T dosslice, would the resulting devices be
+usable under Esix?  I can't try the experiment, I'm just asking.

Does dosslice do anything more than mknod for the dos slice?  A simple
prtvtoc tells you which one it is.  V.4 has this node for you already.

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (10/21/90)

   I,m not sure why no one has answered this question properly,
 unless I just dont understand it correctly ??.

    Anyway, the Question: how to (access/use) a dos partition from vpix
                          using ISC2.2 Unix ?

    Answer: Add this line to your /usr/vpix/default/vpix.cnf file , or each
            users $HOME/vpix/vpix.cnf file,

D	/dev/rdsk/0p0"

            This accesses the first partition on the first hard disk, which
            is where I,m assuming you have your DOS partition at.  If not
            change as needed.

            Make sure the permissions on /dev/rdsk/0p0 are as you want,
            then let'em rip.

PS: I wont mention the security issues at hand.

**** Standard DISClamer ****

Rick Furniss

rlf@inel.gov
rickf@winco.inel.gov