[comp.unix.sysv386] u386mon in 43 line mode

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/12/90)

The documentation for u386mon doesn't seem to explain this -- I want
to be able to use u386mon on my Esix system in 43 line mode on my VGA
display (NEC Multisync II, ATI VGA Wonder 512K) -- the u386mon docs
say you can do 43 line mode, but don't say how.

I have a program called ega43 that makes the display turn into 43 line
mode -- but when I run u386mon, it only uses "25 line mode".

Thanks if you know how to do this!

Bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/12/90)

Further experimentation with command-line options has led me to the
-P option.  This doesn't work (for me) though.

--

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct12.010848.8526@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>I have a program called ega43 that makes the display turn into 43 line
>mode -- but when I run u386mon, it only uses "25 line mode".

Do you also set LINES=43 after running ega43?  Or select a terminal type
that says lines#43 in the definition?  Otherwise how is u386mon gonna
know what mode you're in.

[ PS I hate you for having a system where my ega43 pgm tweaks the VGA
properly! :-) ]
--
"The country couldn't run without Prohibition.       ][  Tom Neff
 That is the industrial fact." -- Henry Ford, 1929   ][  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

swan@pws.bull.com (Joel Swan) (10/12/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>The documentation for u386mon doesn't seem to explain this -- I want
>to be able to use u386mon on my Esix system in 43 line mode on my VGA
>display (NEC Multisync II, ATI VGA Wonder 512K) -- the u386mon docs
>say you can do 43 line mode, but don't say how.

>I have a program called ega43 that makes the display turn into 43 line

If you set LINES=43, u386mon should operate in 43 line mode.

j.

--
Joel M. Swan

phone (508) 294-7125
fax   (508) 294-7419

swan@pws.bull.com

Bull Worldwide Information Systems, Inc.
900 Middlesex Turnpike #2
Billerica, MA 01821

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (10/13/90)

In article <15945@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <1990Oct12.010848.8526@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>I have a program called ega43 that makes the display turn into 43 line
>>mode -- but when I run u386mon, it only uses "25 line mode".
>Do you also set LINES=43 after running ega43?  Or select a terminal type
>that says lines#43 in the definition?  Otherwise how is u386mon gonna
>know what mode you're in.

Either will do with terminfo (but not termcap) curses.
The LINES and COLS environment variables will override
any lines#xx or cols#xx in the terminfo entry.

Terminfo first loads the entry from /usr/lib/terminfo/?/????
and then checks the environment for LINES and COLS.

Warren Tucker, March Hare   gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
"Tell the moon; don't tell the March Hare:  He is here to look around."

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/21/90)

In article <15945@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <1990Oct12.010848.8526@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>I have a program called ega43 that makes the display turn into 43 line
>>mode -- but when I run u386mon, it only uses "25 line mode".
>
>Do you also set LINES=43 after running ega43?  Or select a terminal type
>that says lines#43 in the definition?  Otherwise how is u386mon gonna
>know what mode you're in.

I use SCO's "vidi" command to induce 43-line mode on 8 out of my 12
multiscreens. This requires two changes:

	The kernel must be recompiled, changing SCRNMEM in
	/usr/sys/conf/space.inc to be 60H, (or better, letting
	/usr/sys/conf/configure do that for you, and answering "96"
	as the No. of K of screen memory -- for more 43-line screens,
	increase it).

	A different TERM setting. Instead of "ansi", my 43-line screens
	use "an43", and the definition of that in /etc/termcap is:

	an43:
		:li#43:tc=ansi:
--

 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr@jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341