[comp.unix.sysv386] 4 Port Serial Boards

paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) (10/06/90)

I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
a source for an inexpensive four port card that:

 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
 4) Priced at $300 or less

I could hack a board that has 16450's sodered on, so this isn't
a show stopper.  I could also live without DB-25s, RJ-45 would do.
I will use this board for a personal system so quanity one pricing is
what I am interested in obtaining.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul J. Emerson                           SDG Division of SAIC
Senior Technical Manager                  450 Lakemont Ave.

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/07/90)

paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:

>I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
>a source for an inexpensive four port card that:

> 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
> 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
> 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
> 4) Priced at $300 or less

here is a message that someone posted a couple of months ago:

Several people have asked where to get cheap 4 port asynch boards.  The only
one I have found is the MU-440 made by DFI and which is a knock off of
the AST 4 port serial board.  I have not seen any AST 4 port boards
advertised for several years now.  This board allows you to set the
interrupts so that all 4 ports will generate an interrupt on the same
line.  There are other setups allowed also.

Anyway, the board is available from:

	Microline Computers
	46757 Fremont Blvd
	Fremont, CA 94538
	(415) 770-1900

My most recent information is from a dealer price list and for quantity
2 to 10 the price is $115.00.  A 1 year older retail price list from the
same group had a price of $169.00.

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jeff@marichal.austin.ibm.com (Jeffrey K. Johnson) (10/08/90)

In <1990Oct5.213445.6176@sdgsun.uucp> paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:

>I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
>a source for an inexpensive four port card that:
>
> 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
> 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
> 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
> 4) Priced at $300 or less
>
>I could hack a board that has 16450's sodered on, so this isn't
>a show stopper.  I could also live without DB-25s, RJ-45 would do.
>I will use this board for a personal system so quanity one pricing is
>what I am interested in obtaining.

I just bought an AST-Four Port/DOS card from ACP (800 FONE ACP or 800
366 3227) for $99 + $7.50 S/H.  FAS has everything you need to make this
card work.  It comes with 4 socketed 16450 or equivalent UARTs.  Mine
came with 82450s which are also supported by FAS.  The documentation
clearly states that it uses 16450s.  I replaced one of the UARTs with a
16550AN and it works great.  All four ports share the same IRQ (2-7).

On the downside: it is a dumb card, so you will lose some cpu cycles
serving it more often that an intelligent serial port card.  If you boot
DOS, the card won't work as COM1 and COM2 when it is configured for
Unix.  It should work under VPix though I haven't tried it.

Advanced Computer Products
1310 E. Edlinger
Santa Ana, CA  92705
800 FONE ACP
800 366 3227
714 558 8813
714 558 1603 FAX (24hrs)

I called AST Tech Support to find out the difference between the Four
Port/DOS and Four Port/XN and their current Four Port/AT+ and they told
me it was only software.  I called up their BBS and downloaded the new
DOS drivers.

I have no connection with ACP or AST other than a satisfied customer.

--
Jeff Johnson			10926 Jollyville Rd #1420
Computer Consultant		Austin, TX  78759  (512) 343 0675

engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct5.213445.6176@sdgsun.uucp> paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:

>I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
>a source for an inexpensive four port card that:
>
> 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
> 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
> 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
> 4) Priced at $300 or less

  A short while back there was some talk here about a dumb 4 port
serial board called a MU-440 made by DFI.  I think this board is
supposed to be a clone of the AST 4 port/AT plus.  I remember seeing
this board for sale at a computer swap meet for about US$100.  I've
also seen a 386 Sys V driver for this thing at an ftp site, but I don't
have that info with me now.  I don't know if the board has socketed URATS.
I haven't used this board myself, but I'd like to hear from anybody that
has.

--
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|  Ralph Engwall          | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (10/09/90)

In article <27447@usc.edu> engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:

>In article <1990Oct5.213445.6176@sdgsun.uucp> paul@sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:
>>

>>I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
>>a source for an inexpensive four port card that:
>>
>> 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
>> 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
>> 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
>> 4) Priced at $300 or less
>>

>  A short while back there was some talk here about a dumb 4 port
>serial board called a MU-440 made by DFI.  I think this board is
>supposed to be a clone of the AST 4 port/AT plus.  I remember seeing
>this board for sale at a computer swap meet for about US$100.  I've
>also seen a 386 Sys V driver for this thing at an ftp site, but I don't
>have that info with me now.  I don't know if the board has socketed URATS.
>I haven't used this board myself, but I'd like to hear from anybody that
>has.

I recently picked up an AST four port, minus the octopus cable but
with docs at a local electronics parts reseller.  It was $40.00 with 2
16450 uarts.  They are socketed on the AST card.  These guys buy out
all the old equipment when a company upgrades or goes out of business.
If there is one in your area that is another source for these cards.

Jim

--

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

root@gold.doit.sub.org (Christian Seyb) (10/11/90)

In <1990Oct07.001233.1770@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Several people have asked where to get cheap 4 port asynch boards.  The only
>one I have found is the MU-440 made by DFI and which is a knock off of
>the AST 4 port serial board.  I have not seen any AST 4 port boards

I have such a board. Unfortunately I don't have a manual for it. I made
several attempt to get the meanings of the DIP switches via the net -
so far without any success.

So, if anyone of you got a manual, please mail (or post) the description
of the DIP switches of the MU-440 card.

regards Christian
--
Christian Seyb      |  Internet: cs@gold.doit.sub.org   uucp login: nuucp
Fuchsweg 86         |  Mailbox:  +49-8106-34593   24h   300-19200 PEP

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (10/13/90)

Probably a FAQ, but is the 16550 plug in compatible with the 8250(or similar)
from Intel? Is there any difference between 8250/16450 and 16550 that is
detectable by software, or rather, do they need any different programming or
is the buffer in the 16550 completely transparent? I heard, for example, that
only 16450s are supported by OS/2 (no flames please) so there should be
some difference between the Intel and the Motorola chip.

??? Tom.
----
Thomas M. Hoberg                                   tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de
GMD Berlin, Hardenbergplatz 2, 1000 Berlin 12, Germany   +49-30-254 99-160

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/15/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>If one of these 4-port boards is installed in a 386, can the existing
>two serial ports (on a generic i/o card) remain installed, giving a
>total of 6 ports (plus retaining the parallel port on that card)?

Yes.

jeff@marichal.austin.ibm.com (Jeffrey K. Johnson/65536) (10/16/90)

In <1990Oct15.005916.21858@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>If one of these 4-port boards is installed in a 386, can the existing
>two serial ports (on a generic i/o card) remain installed, giving a
>total of 6 ports (plus retaining the parallel port on that card)?

Yes.  I have an AST-Four Port/DOS and a DFI 2s/1p/1g I/O card installed.  I
just set the 4port to its alternate address and left the 2 DFI serial
ports at their defaults.  I installed FAS for the 4port and left the two
other using the ASY driver.  I will eventually switch them to FAS.

Everything works fine.
--

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (10/22/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>[lots of other stuff deleted]

>If one of these 4-port boards is installed in a 386, can the existing
>two serial ports (on a generic i/o card) remain installed, giving a
>total of 6 ports (plus retaining the parallel port on that card)?
Yes. We have an AST 4-port compatible card and six serial ports running.
We use the FAS 2.07 driver (couldn't get the ISC driver to work reliable
with our application) and it works great.
A printer is connected to the second serial port, a mouse to the first
one and modems to the other.

Norbert Bladt.
--
Please use this path as return address. DON'T USE THE RETURN PATH IN THE HEADER
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland