[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO-Unix - booting to single user mode and then crash

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (10/17/90)

    My Lab is running SCO Open DeskTop and I don't know what happen
    to this.  It was shutdown at this and I turned on this machine.
    It booted clean included no fsck at all but...

    When it goes to SINGLE USER MODE, it displays:

    -------------------< display >----------------------------------

    Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
                                                ( or give root passwd
    for system maintaince.

    Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there
    is no real linefeed between "startup," and "(or give"

    How can I upgrade this from disk instead of installing from scratch?
    I tried to figure it out how to access to hard disk from floppy disk
    on SINGLE USER MODE.   I can do this with REAL System V (Interactive
    386/ix or Interactive Unix 2.2) but not for SCO Unix.   I think this
    could be a problem with rc area.  I tried to boot from unix.old but
    no luck.  Would like to know how to boot from floppy (N1/N2) and
    mount hard disk on floppy's /mnt if any.

    Thank you for your time.

    willy

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) (10/18/90)

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>    -------------------< display >----------------------------------
>
>    Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
>                                                ( or give root passwd
>    for system maintaince.

>    Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there
>    is no real linefeed between "startup," and "(or give"
	I have had the same problem. You can type in your root password
	and then <CTRL><CR> (!!!). It really works (I found out when
	I became real angry and just hit same random keys :-)
 	After you have logged in as root type 'stty sane'. Now you
	can work again.

>    How can I upgrade this from disk instead of installing from scratch?
	You should create an 'emergency boot floppy' and a 'root
	filesystem floppy' (sysadmsh->filesystems->floppy). This procedure
	and restoring your root filesystem is very poorly documented and
	what the manual says about it is **not** correct.
	You should at least do the following:
	- Make a boot and root floppy
	- When your root filesystem is too big (development system, etc)
	  you probably get 'out of inodes' on the floppy. I don't know
	  yet what to do about that.
	- You have to make a mount point on the 'root filesystem floppy'
	  for the hard disk.
	- You should first remove your old root filesystem or create
	  a new root filesystem on your hard disk. Otherwise you still
	  can have old (bogus) files in your system.

	Again: the manual is **totally inadequate** !!!

	Good luck,

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

tony@mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) (10/18/90)

From article <9010171604.AA24053@decpa.pa.dec.com>, by paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine):
>     When it goes to SINGLE USER MODE, it displays:
>     -------------------< display >----------------------------------
>     Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
>                                                 ( or give root passwd
>     for system maintaince.
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------
>     Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there
>     is no real linefeed between "startup," and "(or give"

The last time I saw this the file /etc/inittab was missing. I had to
be REAL quick about typing the root password (fast machines were not an
advantage here). To recover (if this is the problem), boot from a/the floppy
and manually mount the root file system. Look to see if /mnt/etc/inittab is
present. I would loose it if I put a bad-restartable process in my inittab
like a new version of getty that conflicted with login or my asy drivers.
I believe the initab from the floopy may be used to boot the hard drive,
but you will have to edit after. I keep a backup copy called inittab.old,
or something.

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (10/19/90)

In article <9010171604.AA24053@decpa.pa.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>    My Lab is running SCO Open DeskTop and I don't know what happen
>    When it goes to SINGLE USER MODE, it displays:
>    Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
>                                                ( or give root passwd
>    for system maintaince.
>    Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there

Somehow, your /etc/ioctl.syscon file got corrupted.
If you can get up on an emergency boot floppy, copy it's root floppy
version to the hard disk, like:

mount /dev/hd00root /mnt
cp /etc/ioctl.syscon /mnt/etc
umount /dev/hd00root

A one-liner text file, mine looks like:

d06:5:bd:3b:0:3:1c:8:15:4:0:0:0:0:0:0

>    Would like to know how to boot from floppy (N1/N2) and
>    mount hard disk on floppy's /mnt if any.

You should have made an emergency boot flopp[y set :-) :-(.

Warren Tucker, March Hare   gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
"Tell the moon; don't tell the March Hare:  He is here to look around."

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (10/20/90)

In article <7965@star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>>Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there
>>is no real linefeed between "startup," and "(or give"
>I have had the same problem. You can type in your root password
>and then <CTRL><CR> (!!!).

Control-Enter is newline, the same as Control-J.  (I just sent a message to
Willy, explaining this.)

The problem was probably caused by being in a non-cooked mode on syscon when
the system went down.  For example, I normally run ksh, even in root, and in
emacs mode, so my console is normally in raw mode.  One day, I went to shut
down, did an 'init 1', and everything was happy.  *However*:  the init
command returned, ksh went back to raw mdoe, and I waited for the system to
reboot.  When I came up, I got a shell (well, a password prompt first) that
was in raw mode.  I logged in, set things back to normal, did an 'init 1'
again, and that cleared it up.  As a result, I now do an 'exec sh' before I
shut down that way, and I haven't had any problems.

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) (10/23/90)

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

rvdp>>I have had the same problem. You can type in your root password
rvdp>>and then <CTRL><CR> (!!!).

>Control-Enter is newline, the same as Control-J.  (I just sent a message to
>Willy, explaining this.)

>The problem was probably caused by being in a non-cooked mode on syscon when
>the system went down.
	When I had this problem I shut down the machine, turned off the
	power and rebooted (to single user(!), I didn't trust the machine
	anymore). The problem hadn't disappeared! So the strange console
	state must have been saved in some file. Which file contains this
	information?

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

jim@newmedia.UUCP (Jim Beveridge) (10/24/90)

In article <7965@star.cs.vu.nl> you write:
>paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>>    How can I upgrade this from disk instead of installing from scratch?
>	You should create an 'emergency boot floppy' and a 'root
>	filesystem floppy' (sysadmsh->filesystems->floppy). This procedure
>	and restoring your root filesystem is very poorly documented and
>	what the manual says about it is **not** correct.
>	You should at least do the following:
>	- Make a boot and root floppy

You can do this by "mkdev fd"

>	- When your root filesystem is too big (development system, etc)
>	  you probably get 'out of inodes' on the floppy. I don't know
>	  yet what to do about that.

You can increase the number of inodes by modifying line 399 of
/usr/lib/mkdev/fd.  It says:

	mkfilesys ${swplo}:640 || {

You need to increase the 640 value to something
larger (This is the number of inodes that will be created on
the floppy).  Considering that the default frequently doesn't work,
the difficulty of finding this is ridiculous.

>	- You have to make a mount point on the 'root filesystem floppy'
>	  for the hard disk.
>	- You should first remove your old root filesystem or create
>	  a new root filesystem on your hard disk. Otherwise you still
>	  can have old (bogus) files in your system.
>		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

If you have made an "Unscheduled" backup, or a level 0 scheduled backup,
then you can use cpio to restore the system.  The directions on
page 65 in "Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting" in the User's Guide
have worked for me before to successfully restore a crashed
ODT system.

To do this, you *should* do as suggested above and rebuild the
root partition if it has crashed.  All of this is a real pain
in the ass and poorly documented.

Now if I could just figure out why custom(ADM) keeps giving me
and error 10, (10, not 11) I'd be all set.

		Good luck,
		Jim

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (10/28/90)

In article <8020@star.cs.vu.nl>, rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) writes:
> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

Stuff deleted about unresponsive system

> 	anymore). The problem hadn't disappeared! So the strange console
> 	state must have been saved in some file. Which file contains this
> 	information?

It's in the subject line if my memory serves me correctly.
Thanks Chip Rosenthal. It's also documented, init page I think.
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP