[comp.unix.sysv386] Getting smail with ISC 2.2 to work

Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com (10/15/90)

I am trying to set up smail to send all my uucp transfers to another
system for address revision. I set the SMARTHOST=smart-host in the
/etc/default/smail file and set  a smart-host (my_smart_host)!%1
in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file. Doesn't work. Either smail or sendmail
or whatever does not forward the mail. It just sends it back.

					Dante

rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) (10/15/90)

Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com writes:

>I am trying to set up smail to send all my uucp transfers to another
>system for address revision. I set the SMARTHOST=smart-host in the
>/etc/default/smail file and set  a smart-host (my_smart_host)!%1
>in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file. Doesn't work. Either smail or sendmail
>or whatever does not forward the mail. It just sends it back.

I'm glad to hear someone else mention this, if only as a sanity check :-).

I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to make sendmail/smail work
right on a new ISC 2.2 system, to no avail.  Smail is just never getting
invoked, it appears.  Running smail directly in test mode seems to work
(at least the right headers are generated locally).

My configuration is ridulously simple: uunet is my only UUCP connection, and
I simply want everything to go to them.  The problem seems to be in getting the
system to recognize domain addresses without trying to route them locally
via SMTP.  When using bang style addressing, everything works OK.

Rolfe
--
Rolfe Tessem        | Lucky Duck Productions
rolfe@w3vh.UUCP	    | 17 Saint Luke's Place

rot@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Robert Rothe) (10/16/90)

rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
>Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I am trying to set up smail to send all my uucp transfers to another
>>system for address revision. I set the SMARTHOST=smart-host in the
>>/etc/default/smail file and set  a smart-host (my_smart_host)!%1
>>in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file. Doesn't work. Either smail or sendmail
>>or whatever does not forward the mail. It just sends it back.

>I'm glad to hear someone else mention this, if only as a sanity check :-).
>I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to make sendmail/smail work
>right on a new ISC 2.2 system, to no avail.  Smail is just never getting
>invoked, it appears.  Running smail directly in test mode seems to work
>(at least the right headers are generated locally).

>My configuration is ridulously simple: uunet is my only UUCP connection, and
>I simply want everything to go to them.  The problem seems to be in getting the
>system to recognize domain addresses without trying to route them locally
>via SMTP.  When using bang style addressing, everything works OK.

a while a ago i tried the same, and i think after editing the sendmail.cf
file the mailers worked (so far), but the header looked horrible.
i started spending hours of testings with sendmailconfigurationscripts,
but in the end i found problems with domain-based addresses, (and queing
of local mails via uux, if the given domain, even if it's a fake doesn't
fit the real-one), i decided sendmail to be to cryptic (or non functional)
and simply installed smail31, a pd-program.
it simply works. (+tcp/ip)
	robert.

--
Unlisys,  Hohenzollerndamm 7, 1000 Berlin 31     ---     Robert Rothe
unido!fub!unlisys!rot,   rot@unlisys.in-berlin.de,    030 / 211 22 55

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (10/16/90)

Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com writes:
>I am trying to set up smail to send all my uucp transfers to another
>system for address revision. I set the SMARTHOST=smart-host in the
>/etc/default/smail file and set  a smart-host (my_smart_host)!%1
>in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file. Doesn't work. Either smail or sendmail
>or whatever does not forward the mail. It just sends it back.

First problem -- the smart host should be set-up as (your-smart-host)!%s,
not %1.

In article <105@w3vh.UUCP> rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
>I'm glad to hear someone else mention this, if only as a sanity check :-).
>
>I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to make sendmail/smail work
>right on a new ISC 2.2 system, to no avail.  Smail is just never getting
>invoked, it appears.  Running smail directly in test mode seems to work
>(at least the right headers are generated locally).

Be careful.  The smail that's on ISC systems is DIFFERENT than the
smail 2.5 that's on the net.  I don't know what the specific differences
are because I junked the entire stock smail/sendmail configuration that
was there and replaced it with smail 2.5.

>My configuration is ridulously simple: uunet is my only UUCP connection, and
>I simply want everything to go to them.  The problem seems to be in getting the
>system to recognize domain addresses without trying to route them locally
>via SMTP.  When using bang style addressing, everything works OK.

My recommendation is to do what I did and junk that configuration as it
is on the stock system.  Move the old smail/sendmail/mail executables
to a floppy so you have them if you need them again.  Install smail
according to the instructions that come with it, and you should be in
business.  Remember to replace the old /bin/mail with smail's svbinmail
program.  This will cause smail to be invoked properly for remote addresses,
and the old /bin/mail (/bin/lmail) to be invoked for local addresses.

I had a problem here where I have a domain, but I'm a uucp-only machine.
I wanted my domained-mail to go to a particular net-neighbor who was
on the internet.  I solved the problem by making that net-neighbor my
smart-host, and removing all the domain-style sites from my paths file.
I also have a program which optimizes the paths down to the first
domain-based site (which can travel over the internet to get to that
destination, rather than using uucp 'hops').  If anyone is interested,
I will post that program.

Hope this helps.

Gil.
--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil@limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (10/16/90)

According to rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem):
>I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to make sendmail/smail work
>right on a new ISC 2.2 system, to no avail.

Whatever Interactive did right, from all accounts they botched
Sendmail.  Not that botched sendmail is easy to distinguish from
standard Sendmail.  [1/2 :-)]

Many ISC users have reported satisfaction from completely removing
ISC's Sendmail and Smail 2.5 and installing Smail 3.1, which does
everything that the ISC setup is supposed to do.

Get Smail 3.1 from uunet.uu.net, as ~/mail/smail3.1.19.Z.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed

staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (staff) (10/17/90)

rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
>Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I am trying to set up smail to send all my uucp transfers to another
>>system for address revision. I set the SMARTHOST=smart-host in the
>>/etc/default/smail file and set  a smart-host (my_smart_host)!%1
>>in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file. Doesn't work. Either smail or sendmail
>>or whatever does not forward the mail. It just sends it back.

>I'm glad to hear someone else mention this, if only as a sanity check :-).

>I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to make sendmail/smail work
>right on a new ISC 2.2 system, to no avail.  Smail is just never getting
>invoked, it appears.  Running smail directly in test mode seems to work
>(at least the right headers are generated locally).

I've fought this battle too, on my home machine with Interactive 2.2,
and I have lost!  I'm NO sendmail expert, but from the .cf it seemed
to me that uux would be directly invoked, rather than smail.

The funny thing is that when I replaced the real rmail/smail with shell
scripts confirming that they had been called and then exec'ing the real
programs, things got better - but not FULLY OK.  In the end, I have
installed smail 2.5 from the original sources (no need for sendmail, no
local net in my home).  Oh yes, 'deliver' was also needed, the various
*mail*'s wouldn't work properly as local delivery agents.

One tip which might help with smail:  I think there's a bug in the
release/patchlevel I'm using (maybe in Interactive's, too?), when
/usr/lib/uucp/paths is VERY small, with the binary-search code in
routine getpaths():  it is looking for 'smart-host', goes to the middle
of the paths file, and it is the 'm' in 'smart-host'; from there on, it
goes forwards, finds end-of-file, concludes that 'mart-host' is the LAST
entry, and since that's alphabetically BEFORE 'smart-host', gives up!
Easy to fix in source (no reason for binary lookup in such a SMALL paths
file, just read it all in memory first time and linear-search through
it), and just adding a dummy path to 'zulu' as the last line in paths
seemed to hide the bug too, without changing the getpaths() routine.
--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) staff@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex@am.sublink.org

johnk@opel.COM (John Kennedy) (10/23/90)

In article <289@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (staff) writes:
[Description of binary search deleted]

I can concur with the binary search problem.  I got around it by moving
"smart-host" away from the end of the file.  Still no great solution,
but...

I had given up on getting smail from ISC or smail 2.5 from uunet to
work with smartmail.  It's encouraging to see so many other failures :-).

I seem to remember my problem being one of recursively invoking the
remote mailer, with local mail never landing.

Has anyone actually got this combination to work under ISC 2.2?  Maybe
we could use some clues.

--
John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.COM
Second Source, Inc.

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (10/24/90)

johnk@opel.COM (John Kennedy) writes:

> I had given up on getting smail from ISC or smail 2.5 from uunet to
> work with smartmail.  It's encouraging to see so many other failures :-).

> Has anyone actually got this combination to work under ISC 2.2?  Maybe
> we could use some clues.

I played around with smail2.5 straight from uunet to get it to work in
no-sendmail mode on ISC 2.2, which is a V.3.2.  The uunet-distributed
version supports it on V.2, but some conventions have changed between R2
and R3.  Here's how it goes:

    Under V.2, prior to installing smail, rmail and mail were the same
    program, with the rmail invocation used to restrict to delivery.  The
    internal check was for "rmail" or not.  When installing smail, it took
    over the role of rmail, and the old rmail became lmail (local mail).
    The little svbinmail took over the role of old /bin/mail, directing
    to either lmail (the old mail/rmail, to read) or rmail (now nee smail,
    to send).

    Under V.3, rmail is a separate program.  mail and lmail are the same,
    with lmail being the delivery agent, and the internal check is now for
    "lmail" or not.  Thus the svbinmail trick doesn't quite work; it can
    deliver OK, but trying to read, it invokes lmail which complains that
    it wants to send mail.

(Got it?:-)

So I used a slight variant on the hack--svbinmail now invokes either rmail
to send or rdmail (my invented name) to receive.  The new rdmail is a link
to lmail.  This is a one-line change to svbinmail plus some tweaks to the
installation instructions.

You do want to check that you've got things plugged in right before you
turn 'em on--permissions and all.  These guys are a little feisty and they
pass the buck a lot...if somebody passes the buck to the wrong guy, or to
himself, you get much commotion and spraying-about of processes, with very
little actual mail delivered.

While I was at it, I also tweaked the Makefile to strip files and use the
shared C library.

I have seen one bizarre event, though:  Sometimes sending one mail message
to both a local user and a remote user causes a failure message about being
unable to deliver to the local user.  In spite of that, the mail is still
delivered both places correctly (which is why I haven't bashed around
enough to fix it yet).  Anyone seen this?  got a fix?
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (10/25/90)

In article <32@opel.COM> johnk@opel.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>In article <289@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (staff) writes:
>[Description of binary search deleted]
>
>I can concur with the binary search problem.  I got around it by moving
>"smart-host" away from the end of the file.  Still no great solution,
>but...
>
>I had given up on getting smail from ISC or smail 2.5 from uunet to
>work with smartmail.  It's encouraging to see so many other failures :-).
>
>I seem to remember my problem being one of recursively invoking the
>remote mailer, with local mail never landing.
>
>Has anyone actually got this combination to work under ISC 2.2?  Maybe
>we could use some clues.
>
>--
>John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.COM
>Second Source, Inc.
>Annapolis, MD

I had it working for a little while, about 2 weeks or so, then moved
to smail3.  It is so much easier to use and maintain.  I don't remeber
exactly what I did to make it work.  I think I remeber hearing on the
net to not do an upgrade from the isc 2.2 disks, but to do a
completely new install.  If you did an upgrade maybe something got
hosed in the works.

Jim

--

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (10/25/90)

In article <32@opel.COM> johnk@opel.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>In article <289@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (staff) writes:
>[discussion of sendmail-under-ISC problems deleted]

>Has anyone actually got this combination to work under ISC 2.2?  Maybe
>we could use some clues.

Forget it, and get smail 3.14 from uunet (or your friendly archive site).

Toss in a couple of (user readable) config files patched from the (quite
complete) examples provided, and go. Took me maybe two days from
download to fully operational status, including keeping up with other
work. smail3 is a BREEZE compared to sendmail. I can't say enough
good things about it.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) (10/29/90)

In article <32@opel.COM> johnk@opel.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>I had given up on getting smail from ISC or smail 2.5 from uunet to
>work with smartmail.  It's encouraging to see so many other failures :-).

   I have been running smail 2.5 with ISC 2.0.2 sendmail for quite some
time now. We still haven't upgraded to 2.2.

>I seem to remember my problem being one of recursively invoking the
>remote mailer, with local mail never landing.

  Make sure that /bin/lmail gets invoked with an argv[0] of lmail, rather
than mail. If it detects that it is 'mail' then it assumes you are sending
it and feed the message back into /usr/lib/sendmail.

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.