[net.music] Wrapup of Name the Artist Quiz #4

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (07/13/85)

Here it is, the wrapup for NTA Quiz #4 (Quiz 5 to follow).

** EASY ** (boy are these easy!)
1) The Boxer -- Simon and Garfunkel
2) Nights in White Satin -- Moody Blues
3) Piano Man -- Billy Joel
4) Bad Moon Rising -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
5) Born to Run -- Bruce Springsteen

** MEDIUM **
1) Frankenstein -- Edgar Winter
2) Spooky -- Classics IV (which I learned became Atlanta Rhythm Section)
3) If -- Bread
4) The Love You Save -- Jackson 5ive
5) Natural Woman -- Aretha Franklin

** HARD **
1) Tighter Tighter   -- Alive & Kicking
   a) Who was the lead singer of this group? -- Donnie Iris (had a hit 2 or 3
      years ago with "Ah, Leah".  Tommy James wrote and produced it, but did
      not sing.)  NOBODY GOT THIS ONE!
2) One Toke Over the Line -- Brewer & Shipley
3) The Happy Organ -- Dave (Baby) Cortez (got some strange comments about this)
4) Love Grows (where may Rosemary goes) -- Edison Lighthouse
5) Smile a Little Smile for Me -- The Flying Machine
   (somebody once told me that they were the same group years apart)
6) Judy in Disguise  -- John Fred & his Playboy Band
7) Down in the Boondocks -- Billy Joe Royal
8) Seasons in the Sun -- Terry Jacks
9) Which Way You Goin' Billy? -- Poppy Family (lead singer, Susan Jacks)
   b) What is the relationship between the lead singers on the above 2 songs?
      (Now divorced) Husband and Wife
10) 1-2-3 -- Len Barry

** IMPOSSIBLE **
1) 98.6 -- Keith (real name: James Keefer)
2) Theme from "Mission: Impossible" -- Lalo Schifrin
3) Spirit in the Sky -- Norman Greenbaum (yes, I used this one before)

And as for the scores, nobody got all 25 possible points, though several got
24.  I guess this quiz was too damned easy.  Oh well.  Maybe the 5th will
be a little harder.

RESULTS:
RC Clements (no name--shouldn't count!) -- 24
Andrew Rogers -- 24
Grady Toss -- 24
/Bernie -- 24
Jerry Weil -- 24
Richard Jeffreys -- 23
Dennis LaBissoniere -- 23
Roy Rubenstein -- 23
and for the mortals:
Bob Schleicher -- 9
Jeff Richardson -- 18
Bill Blue -- 14
Diane Hood (slipping a bit) -- 19
Michael Berch -- 9
Mark Wachsler -- 9
543266jj (sorry, I forgot your name) -- 9
Tim Fitzgerald -- 15
Wombat (Rich Kulaweic) -- 16

Sure, Carole King wrote Natural Woman, but Aretha had the hit.

Anyway, it looks like I may be staying on the net.  There may be a period
when I lose access to news, but not to uucp/mail, so I can collect answers.
For the foreseeable future, it should be pretty cool, though.  If I lose
the net, I am NOT going to mail everybody quizzes (despite the many requests).

Until the next quiz (probably the next message...)
-- Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Coke are it!

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/16/85)

In article <385@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Here it is, the wrapup for NTA Quiz #4 (Quiz 5 to follow).
>
> 2) Spooky -- Classics IV (which I learned became Atlanta Rhythm Section)

	This was originally an instrumental by Mike Sharpe; the Classics IV
	added lyrics to it and had a hit with it several months later.

	The Classics IV didn't "become" the ARS any more than the Beatles
	"became" Wings; the only person common to both groups is guitarist
	J.R. Cobb.  ARS' real antecedent is the Candymen, who started out as
	Roy Orbison's backup band and who once featured Bobby Goldsboro as
	lead guitarist.  ARS organist Dean Daughtry, drummer Robert Nix, and
	original lead singer Rodney Justo are all ex-Candymen.

> 4) Love Grows (where my Rosemary goes) -- Edison Lighthouse
> 5) Smile a Little Smile for Me -- The Flying Machine
>   (somebody once told me that they were the same group years apart)

	Close.  They are both studio groups masterminded by producer Tony
	Macauley and featuring lead singer Tony Burrows (who also sang lead
	on the Pipkins' "Gimme Dat Ding" and First Class' "Beach Baby").  They
	weren't "years apart", either - more like 3-4 months.

Andrew W. Rogers

hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) (07/17/85)

Yes, Carole King wrote "Natural Woman" and recorded it on
Tapestry.
Also, the Kingston Trio sang "A Season in the Sun" before
Terry Jack (or whoever) got to it.

rsk@pucc-k (Wombat) (07/17/85)

> From: andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers)
>
> The Classics IV didn't "become" the ARS any more than the Beatles
> "became" Wings; the only person common to both groups is guitarist
> J.R. Cobb.  ARS' real antecedent is the Candymen, who started out as
> Roy Orbison's backup band and who once featured Bobby Goldsboro as
> lead guitarist.  ARS organist Dean Daughtry, drummer Robert Nix, and
> original lead singer Rodney Justo are all ex-Candymen.

Evan Marcus got that piece of information (Classics IV -> ARS) from me,
I believe, and I got it from the ARS when I interviewed them in 1977. It
turns out that several of them played with the Classics IV but remained
unlisted on cuts, discographies, etc.  However, if my memory is correct,
I believe that J.R. Cobb was the only "true" Classics IV player.
--
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@{pur-ee,purdue}.uucp, rsk@purdue-asc.csnet
		rsk@purdue-asc.arpa or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

jvv@canisius.UUCP (Jim VanVerth) (07/22/85)

"If" is also a song by Pink Floyd, off of the Atom Heart
Mother Lp, I believe.

canisius!jvv

"Every question has at least two true answers."