[comp.unix.sysv386] virtual terminals on SVR4 i386

tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) (10/26/90)

I'm having trouble getting Virtual Terminals on a 386 console running
System V Release 4 from AT&T.  Supposedly, you can open several
virtual terminals at a time, flipping round through them.

In any case, can someone who knows how to make this work email me
a method for my madness??

Thanks,

Tom Stewart

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (10/26/90)

type:

# newvt

use alt-sys-req to flip back and forth, with alt-sys-req 'h' being
the home console, instead of F8 like in ISC 386/ix.

Or you can go back to the old method and run getty's on the vt's.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/26/90)

tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>I'm having trouble getting Virtual Terminals on a 386 console running
>System V Release 4 from AT&T.  Supposedly, you can open several
>virtual terminals at a time, flipping round through them.

Please let us know if this indeed works or not - as many of us
are planning on upgrading to Intel Rel4

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Oct26.030451.731@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
>
>>I'm having trouble getting Virtual Terminals on a 386 console running
>>System V Release 4 from AT&T.  Supposedly, you can open several
>>virtual terminals at a time, flipping round through them.
>
>Please let us know if this indeed works or not - as many of us
>are planning on upgrading to Intel Rel4

Well, I'm happy now... I can create, change , and remove virtual terminals.
The only problem is,  AT&T's released code is ...  well....  ... buggy.
At least there's a bug fix update coming out soon (more money of course).

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

Tom Stewart

vrs@lint.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent R. Slyngstad) (10/27/90)

You *did* invoke vtlmgr first, I hope.  What have you tried and where
did it go wrong
for you?

# Vincent R. Slyngstad, UNIX Development Engineering, Intel Corporation
# vrs@littlei.intel.com
# "The attendant did not strap me in."

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/27/90)

=
=>I'm having trouble getting Virtual Terminals on a 386 console running
=>System V Release 4 from AT&T.  Supposedly, you can open several
=>virtual terminals at a time, flipping round through them.
=
=Please let us know if this indeed works or not - as many of us
=are planning on upgrading to Intel Rel4

One can certainly do this in AT&T SV/386 R3.2.2!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/01/90)

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:

>Or you can go back to the old method and run getty's on the vt's.

Getty's ?
I was told SVR4 has this single process monitoring
all tty's instead of a getty for each one.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.003451.27419@cti-software.nl>, pim@cti-software.nl
(Pim Zandbergen) writes:
> jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:
>
> >Or you can go back to the old method and run getty's on the vt's.
>
> Getty's ?
> I was told SVR4 has this single process monitoring
> all tty's instead of a getty for each one.

It does, but it also has getty/uugetty, which are a lot easier to set up for
something as simple as a vt than ttymon.