[comp.unix.sysv386] Loading Microport executables on SCO Unix

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (11/02/90)

----

Okay...so I want to try out this much vaunted binary compatability.

I have (legal and everything) the Document Processing distribution for
Microport SysV/386.  Since SCO-ODT didn't come with this, I figured
I'd just load up these binaries and everything would be rockin'.

Now...could someone fill me in on what the format of the microport
distribution disks are (how are the archives laid out, etc.)?
Thanks...

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (11/03/90)

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>----

>Okay...so I want to try out this much vaunted binary compatability.

>I have (legal and everything) the Document Processing distribution for
>Microport SysV/386.  Since SCO-ODT didn't come with this, I figured
>I'd just load up these binaries and everything would be rockin'.

>Now...could someone fill me in on what the format of the microport
>distribution disks are (how are the archives laid out, etc.)?
>Thanks...

They're in a cpio format I believe.  I tried what you're talking about
and it seemed to work fine - as far as I checked it out (not very far).
I'm running release 4 now, so I can't tell you any more about it.
There might be an installation shell script on the disk which would
be a help.

			Richard Ducoty