[comp.unix.sysv386] parameters on CDC Wren IV, Adaptec 1542b

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/04/90)

I ran the SCSICNTL.EXE program to examine my CDC Wren IV (hooked up
to an Adaptec 1542b), and have some questions about the appropriate
settings.  The system is running Esix Rev D (SYSVR3 Unix).

Parameters:

                       Defaults      Current     Options

Disable Correction     enabled       enabled
Transfer on error      enabled       enabled
post error             disabled      disabled
early error correction disabled      disabled
read continuous        disabled      disabled
transfer block         disabled      disabled
auto read allocation   disabled      disabled
auto write allocation  disabled      disabled
retry count               27           27        1-255
buffer full ratio          4            4        0-255
buffer empty ratio         4            4        0-255
[a bunch of stuff about tracks/sectors per zone skipped for now]
write index enable     disabled      disabled
cache enable           disabled      disabled

What are the best settings to have on these parameters in my application?

Thanks in advance...

Bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/04/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I ran the SCSICNTL.EXE program to examine my CDC Wren IV (hooked up
>to an Adaptec 1542b), and have some questions about the appropriate
>settings.  The system is running Esix Rev D (SYSVR3 Unix).

>Parameters:

>                       Defaults      Current     Options

>Disable Correction     enabled       enabled
>Transfer on error      enabled       enabled
>post error             disabled      disabled
>early error correction disabled      disabled
>read continuous        disabled      disabled
>transfer block         disabled      disabled
>auto read allocation   disabled      disabled
>auto write allocation  disabled      disabled
>retry count               27           27        1-255
>buffer full ratio          4            4        0-255
>buffer empty ratio         4            4        0-255
>[a bunch of stuff about tracks/sectors per zone skipped for now]
>write index enable     disabled      disabled
>cache enable           disabled      disabled

>What are the best settings to have on these parameters in my application?

what you need to do is to change one item at a time - then
bench the system, change another - then bench, etc..

I have cache enabled (made a 10% difference) and changed the
buffer ratios from 4 to 16 (made a + difference on large disk IO,
and - on small; but since most of mine is large - I changed it)..

>Thanks in advance...

>Bill

>--
>home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
>	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com
>	Public Access Unix  - Esix SYSVR3 - (508) 655-3848
>other:	heiser@world.std.com   Public Access Unix (617) 739-9753
 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Nov04.004934.232@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>what you need to do is to change one item at a time - then
>bench the system, change another - then bench, etc..

Thanks for the feedback Larry.  What utility are you using to do
your benchmarking?

>I have cache enabled (made a 10% difference) and changed the
>buffer ratios from 4 to 16 (made a + difference on large disk IO,
>and - on small; but since most of mine is large - I changed it)..

I'm a little uncertain about the "buffer ratios" -- I didn't see any
explanation of it in the lenghy aha1542 manual -- do you have anything
that describes them?  My "largest" disk IO activity is news processing
(Cnews) and compiling software -- does that qualify as "large", and
would you expect it to benefit from the increase in buffer ratios?

Thanks for the info.
Bill

--

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/05/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>Thanks for the feedback Larry.  What utility are you using to do
>your benchmarking?

We have a couple of benchmarking tools here on nstar - one of
which is a copy of what was used in Byte a year or so ago..

>I'm a little uncertain about the "buffer ratios" -- I didn't see any
>explanation of it in the lenghy aha1542 manual -- do you have anything
>that describes them?  My "largest" disk IO activity is news processing

Nope - I just tweaked and benched, tweaked and benched, etc..

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov04.222938.984@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>We have a couple of benchmarking tools here on nstar - one of
>which is a copy of what was used in Byte a year or so ago..

Do you recommend either of them in particular for ease-of-use, portability
(to sysvr3 (esix)), and accuracy?

--

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/06/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>Do you recommend either of them in particular for ease-of-use, portability
>(to sysvr3 (esix)), and accuracy?

No - it depends on what you are benching ...

karl@robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge) (11/07/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>what you need to do is to change one item at a time - then
>>bench the system, change another - then bench, etc..

>Thanks for the feedback Larry.  What utility are you using to do
>your benchmarking?

>>I have cache enabled (made a 10% difference) and changed the
>>buffer ratios from 4 to 16 (made a + difference on large disk IO,
>>and - on small; but since most of mine is large - I changed it)..

>I'm a little uncertain about the "buffer ratios" -- I didn't see any
>explanation of it in the lenghy aha1542 manual -- do you have anything
>that describes them?  My "largest" disk IO activity is news processing
>(Cnews) and compiling software -- does that qualify as "large", and
>would you expect it to benefit from the increase in buffer ratios?

The Host Adapter has nothing to do with it - it's a SCSI-command.

The Buffer-Full Ratio and Buffer-Empty Ratio are part of the Mode Select
Command called the 'Dissconnect/Reconnect Control Page'.

The Buffer-Full (Buffer-Empty) Ratio indicates on READ (WRITE) operations
how full (empty) the buffer should be prior to attempting a reconnection.

The Quantum Prodrive Specs say:

Buffer-Full Ratio: During READ Operations, the drive disconnects when
    the buffer is empty. The Value of the buffer-full ratio represents
    the percentage of the buffer that must be filled, unless the buffer
    contains all the required data, prior to reconnection of the drive
    - that is, 255 (FFh) represents 100% full; 128 (80h), 50% full.
    When the value is zero, the drive determines when it will initiate
    reselection. The default value is 80h, indicating that the drive
    will attempt a reconnection whenever the buffer contains at least
    four kilobytes of data read from the disk.

Buffer-Empty Ratio: When the drive is disconnected during WRITE
    operations, the value of the buffer-empty ratio represents the
    percentage of the buffer that must be empty to enable
    fetching data from the initiator, unless the buffer can hold
    all the required data - that is, 255 (FFh) represents 100% empty,
    128 (80h) 50% empty. When the value is zero, the drive determines,
    when it will initiate reselection. The default value is 80h,
    indicating that the drive will attempt a reconnection whenever
    the buffer contains at least four kilobytes of data transferred
    from the initiator.

--
Karl-Peter Huestegge                       karl@robot.in-berlin.de
Berlin Friedenau                           ..unido!fub!geminix!robot!karl

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov3.185524.468@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>I ran the SCSICNTL.EXE program to examine my CDC Wren IV (hooked up
>to an Adaptec 1542b), and have some questions about the appropriate

deleted...

sorry for a possibly repeated question, but can someone send a copy of SCSICNTL.exe
to me or post a ftp site for it or something? thanks

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
				Internet:	norsk@sequent.com