[comp.unix.sysv386] Intel, Bell Tech. & Unix

richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) (10/30/90)

The October 15 issue of Computer Systems News has a blurb stating that Intel
is dropping out of the workstation market.  When they purchased Bell
Technologies, they were trying to break in to the low end workstations.

  I assume the Blit card is history.  Any ideas as to what this portends for
their Unix offering?

  I sympathize with Bell Tech, I worked for BiiN, Another Intel success
story.

Richard A. Griffiths              ...uunet!ingr!b11!xanth!richard   (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.                  richard@b11.ingr.com          (Internet)
"Part of this D minus belongs to God."  - Bart Simpson

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (11/01/90)

In article <9248@b11.ingr.com> richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) writes:
>The October 15 issue of Computer Systems News has a blurb stating that Intel
>is dropping out of the workstation market.  When they purchased Bell
>Technologies, they were trying to break in to the low end workstations.

They are dropping out of the packaged PC market (when were they in the
workstation market?).  Electronic News cites several reasons, the most
probable being that they weren't able to garner any market share and
that several of their big chip customers (Compaq, et.al.) were less
than pleased that Intel was competing directly with them in their market.

>  I assume the Blit card is history.  Any ideas as to what this portends for
>their Unix offering?

They still support the BLIT?  What revision of X do they support?

>  I sympathize with Bell Tech, I worked for BiiN, Another Intel success
>story.

There was a note in the EN article that Dimitri Rowtow had been
reassigned to a "staff postition".  I believe he was GM of the
division.

As an asside: is the new versions of the i960 recently announced (I
forget the suffix) the BiiN version?

>"Part of this D minus belongs to God."  - Bart Simpson

I've been there....

--
	ken seefried iii	"A snear, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (11/02/90)

richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) writes:

>The October 15 issue of Computer Systems News has a blurb stating that Intel
>is dropping out of the workstation market.  When they purchased Bell
>Technologies, they were trying to break in to the low end workstations.

>  I assume the Blit card is history.  Any ideas as to what this portends for
>their Unix offering?

According to our local Intel rep, _all_ the hardware add-ons are being
dropped (ACE/8-port, HUB/6-port, ICC, PC586/ethernet) by June 1991. The
Blit is off the market already (according to these guys -- they can
no longer find it in their price lists).  Support (such as there is)
will continue until June 1996.

They plan to keep selling complete [34]86 _and_ i860 systems, Unix,
etc. It is just the add-on market that they are dropping out of.

 Paul Nash			 Flagship Wide Area Networks (Pty) Ltd
  paul@frcs.UUCP			  ...!ddsw1!proxima!frcs!paul

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (11/06/90)

In article <16147@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>In article <9248@b11.ingr.com> richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) writes:
>>  I assume the Blit card is history.  Any ideas as to what this portends for
>>their Unix offering?
>
>They still support the BLIT?  What revision of X do they support?

No they don't..  The only commercial driver I was able to find for the
BLIT card was in Interactive's 386/ix & X11 stuff.

BTW, Intel is offering SysVr4 to people.. is that only for `developers'?
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/06/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

>BTW, Intel is offering SysVr4 to people.. is that only for `developers'?

To anyone..

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Nov06.120711.13454@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>
>>BTW, Intel is offering SysVr4 to people.. is that only for `developers'?
>
>To anyone..

It is available to anyone, but is a "developer's" release.  (read that as:
you can expect to have problems with it).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

In article <1990Nov07.010508.2396@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

| It is available to anyone, but is a "developer's" release.  (read that as:
| you can expect to have problems with it).

  By that definition I can call everything I ever got from certain
vendors "development release."
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX