[comp.unix.sysv386] VPIX / X11 / VT Swtiching -- Crash on ISC 2.0.2

dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) (11/03/90)

I have found a reproducable problem with VT Switching on ISC 2.0.2

Problem 1:
	If I am running a graphics application in VPIX (on console), and
do a lot of quick ALT-SYSREQ-F1 ALT-SYSREQ-F8 (swith to/from another VT)
There will be some glitches in the graphics output on VPIX.  This seems
to only occur when there is graphics drawing currently going on when the
switch takes place,  and only occasionally (but frequent enough to be
reproducable).

Problem 2:
	If I am running X11R3 (from ISC) on a VT, and VPIX on another VT,
and do quick vt switches, then occasionally VPIX will crash, very quietly,
without any error messages.  Once I got X to crash this way also, but usually
it is vpix that crashes.

Question:  Has anyone seen this behaviour?  Any thoughts on the culprit?
Is this a software or hardware bug ?

System Info:

Northgate 386 20MHZ   8 Meg Memory (4 on motherborard, 4 on 32 bit board.
ISC 2.0.2 unix, fully installed.
68 Meg RLL disk drive
120 Meg RLL disk drive.
4 partitions,  2 unix and 2 dos.

LOGITECH Serial mouse, on com port 1 (using isc's asy driver), in use
by both VPIX and X11.

Post or Email as appropreate.

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (11/05/90)

dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) writes:

>I have found a reproducable problem with VT Switching on ISC 2.0.2

here's another:
start vp/ix on, say, VT4, goto VT8 and kill the vp/ix.
you'll get the shell prompt from VT4 on VT8. not a problem
(i.e. i haven'y experienced any damage), but a bug.
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93

richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (11/09/90)

In article <604@dptechno.UUCP> dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) writes:
>I have found a reproducable problem with VT Switching on ISC 2.0.2
>Problem 1:
>	If I am running a graphics application in VPIX (on console), and
>do a lot of quick ALT-SYSREQ-F1 ALT-SYSREQ-F8 (swith to/from another VT)
>There will be some glitches in the graphics output on VPIX.  This seems
>to only occur when there is graphics drawing currently going on when the
>Problem 2:
>	If I am running X11R3 (from ISC) on a VT, and VPIX on another VT,
>and do quick vt switches, then occasionally VPIX will crash, very quietly,

 I have seen both of these problems and am curious as to why they happen
 also. ISC hasn't been very helpful, but then it took them 4 weeks to
 figure out that I shouldn't have deinstalled TCP - even though I don't
 have a network -simply because some subsystems like looking glass, and
 the ptys need an include file that is in the TCP distribution disk -alas
 :-)  I have used up my free question and answer time.

 One particularly viscious version of these problems occurs when running
 solitile from vpix and finding out that it cant find the mouse. When I
 kill off the session from another VT -all the graphics goes blotto.
 That VT with a getty running and all still hasn't reset itself to be
 usable as a normal terminal (ie kill -15 etc is as bad as kill -9 ).
 There is graphics detritus all over the screen -forever until reboot.
 THere is no nice way to kill off the graphics stuff.

 In the latter case how do you mean vpix crashes! IF you mean it goes away
 and all of a sudden you're back in unix then thats what happens to me -no
 screen noise no nothing.. whammo -welcome to unix. I have not seen system
 crashes, but I have had to reboot to clear the hardware. I believe
 because software wasnt tracking what it did so didnt know how to get
 "sane".

 Also has anyone noticed that when switching into vpix and back out -all
 of a sudden none of the doscommands (eg dosget) can find the floppy disks
 anymore!

 Any solutions would be of interest.
Richard Karasik
 ..  richard@octel