[comp.unix.sysv386] Getty Respawing on ISC 2.2

harris@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kenneth Ray Harris) (11/05/90)

I am trying to get a dialup line running on an ISC V2.2 system.
I have two serial ports on the system configured as standard
COM1 and COM2 ports. I try running a getty on /dev/ttyd0 and it
displays an error about respawing too fast. The manual suggests
that this means that the port has not been configed properly in
the kernel or that there are interrupt conflicts occuring with
another device. As far as I can tell, this is not the case. I
have a serial mouse connected to /dev/tty01 for use with X and
it works fine. VPIX is able to access /dev/tty00 and it works fine.
What am I doing wrong? Any suggetsions would be greatly appreciated.

In article <7422@uwm.edu> harris@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kenneth Ray Harris) writes:
>I am trying to get a dialup line running on an ISC V2.2 system.
>I have two serial ports on the system configured as standard
>COM1 and COM2 ports. I try running a getty on /dev/ttyd0 and it
>displays an error about respawing too fast. The manual suggests

Read the FAQ posting (just posted yesterday).  Pay special attention
to question number 6.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (11/09/90)

Yeah,
check your inittab (/etc/inittab) . It turns out that some of the ISC
packages use the same bloody names in the inittab (field 1). Thus they
stomp each other when init runs. ie init is already running something
with that name and loses its tiny mind. Just change the names to all be
different and it should work.

This is what I found after all the normal broken reasons for things
respawning too rapidly were checked.	By the way the things ISC
suggests are ok - its just that things dont usually get that broken.
(OK OK my things dont usually get that broken)
Richard Karasik

richard@octel
... sun!kass!richard

hoepfner@usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) (11/09/90)

In <7422@uwm.edu> harris@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kenneth Ray Harris) writes:

>I am trying to get a dialup line running on an ISC V2.2 system.
>I have two serial ports on the system configured as standard
>COM1 and COM2 ports. I try running a getty on /dev/ttyd0 and it
>displays an error about respawing too fast. The manual suggests
(deleted...)

No, I had the same problems some days ago and couldn't fix them
with the original drivers. I thing they have a bug handling
lines with modem control.....was discussed here for a long time !

The solution is installing the FAS 2.07 (don't know if this is
the latest revision ?) serial drivers. I also don't have problems
runnig my terminal with 19200 baud anymore.......

Andreas :-)

 |                   Andreas Hoepfner                                    |
 |     paper mail:                            e-mail:                    |
 | c/o/ SNI AG                   USA: hoepfner.kd@nixdorf.com            |
 | Abt. PU 2222                  !USA: hoepfner.kd@nixdorf.de            |
 | Heinz Nixdorf Ring                                                    |
 | D-4790 Paderborn                                                      |
 | tel.: (+49) 5251 107479                                               |