[comp.unix.sysv386] Inbound news is suddenly failing

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/07/90)

I know this was discussed not too long ago, but I don't have the
resources to archive old news (so the articles have been expired).
(Larry, was it you that had this problem?)

Yesterday my inbound news started failing (CNEWS).  My logfile is
filling up with the following messages:

relaynews: error writing `/usr/lib/news/history', probably the disk filled (File too large)
relaynews: error closing history file

I have "plenty" of disk space:

      /         :	Disk space:  18.14 MB of  28.92 MB available (62.76%).
      /usr      :	Disk space:  35.62 MB of 164.13 MB available (21.71%).
      /usr2     :	Disk space:  36.37 MB of  75.32 MB available (48.28%).
		  Total Disk Space:  90.14 MB of 268.38 MB available (33.59%).

(the news spool directory is in /usr).

Is this just a matter of tweaking the spacefor file?

Thanks in advance for your comments on this.

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

In article <1990Nov7.041739.18690@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Yesterday my inbound news started failing (CNEWS).  My logfile is
>filling up with the following messages:
>relaynews: error writing `/usr/lib/news/history', probably the disk
> filled (File too large)
>
>Is this just a matter of tweaking the spacefor file?

More probably it is a problem with your ULIMIT.  Check the ulimit setting in
your KERNEL (the ulimit for login users in /etc/default/login doesn't matter
in this case since the news processing is run out of cron).

See the FAQP for info on how to change your ULIMIT.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

eric@egsner.cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen) (11/07/90)

-
- Yesterday my inbound news started failing (CNEWS).  My logfile is
- filling up with the following messages:
-
- relaynews: error writing `/usr/lib/news/history', probably the disk filled (File too large)
- relaynews: error closing history file

        I would suspect that you are running up against the ULIMIT..
How big is the history file, and what is your ULIMIT set to?

        I suspect that you haven't changed ULIMIT from the default (of
about 1.2Mb), and that your history file just hit that point.  Check the
FAQ to find out how to up your system wide ULIMIT.

        I have been running C news for over a year on ISC 2.0.2, and
several months before that on Microport System V/AT, and have never seen
the problem.

- Is this just a matter of tweaking the spacefor file?

        Spacefor may need tweaking, but that is not the cause here.  The
cause is that relaynews got an error condition back from writing a
history record...

        If you have any other questions about C news on ISC 2.0.2 (or
2.2 for that matter), feel free to contact me..
--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		schnoebe@convex.com
	There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.041739.18690@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>I know this was discussed not too long ago, but I don't have the
>resources to archive old news (so the articles have been expired).
>(Larry, was it you that had this problem?)
>
>Yesterday my inbound news started failing (CNEWS).  My logfile is
>filling up with the following messages:
>

>relaynews: error writing `/usr/lib/news/history', probably the disk filled (File too large)
>relaynews: error closing history file

   The error mesg: "(File too large)" should be a good clue.  It's your
   ulimit that is too low.  Add a "ulimit 5000;" to your crontab where you
   run the news programs.

-- Tin

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM

In article <1990Nov8.014303.24766@smsc.sony.com> tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) writes:
>   The error mesg: "(File too large)" should be a good clue.  It's your
>   ulimit that is too low.  Add a "ulimit 5000;" to your crontab where you
>   run the news programs.

A. this won't work if the news programs are run by a non-root user, since
only root can up it's ulimit.

B. Even if this did work, it is short sighted work-around.  Fix the ULIMIT
in the kernel which will work for all cron programs and if you really
want a lower ulimit for users, set it in /etc/default/login

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/09/90)

>  == cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>> == tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) writes:

>>   Add a "ulimit 5000;" to your crontab where you
>>   run the news programs.

> A. this won't work if the news programs are run by a non-root user, since
> only root can up it's ulimit.

> B. Even if this did work, it is short sighted work-around.  Fix the ULIMIT
> in the kernel which will work for all cron programs

Or if you don't want to mess around with the kernel, you could always
do
	( ulimit <LOTS> ; exec /etc/cron )

instead of plain /etc/cron in the appropriate /etc/rc<whatever> file.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

In article <1990Nov9.090558.28179@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>Or if you don't want to mess around with the kernel, you could always
>do
>	( ulimit <LOTS> ; exec /etc/cron )
>
>instead of plain /etc/cron in the appropriate /etc/rc<whatever> file.

Folks, the only way to make sure that you don't run into ULIMIT problems
is to reconfigure the kernel and remove the ULIMIT line in /etc/default/login.

Any other change including that listed above is a hack and only solves
some of the problems.  Instead of searching through the system for every
such problem, just fix it right in the one place where it matters.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/11/90)

Thanks to the many (too many to list:-) people who responded to my question
about why my inbound news was failing due to a "file too large" message.
All of the responses confirmed my suspicion that it was a ULIMIT problem.
I raised the ULIMIT in the kernel, and the problem has disappeared.

Bill