[comp.unix.sysv386] workarounds for TCP/IP & mail problems

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (11/09/90)

Background:
because MMDF (as shipped) is broken, I chose to use Sendmail.
Sendmail is activated by doing a "mkdev sendmail-init" which internally
runs a script to generate a configuration file.  This script can be
invoked by "mkdev cf".  The "mkdev sendmail-init" also modifies the
/etc/tcp script so that sendmail is run when TCP/IP is started up.

The mkdev cf idea is a good one, and I'd be pretty happy if it worked.
Unfortunately, it's broken, so the sendmail.cf file it generates is
unuseable.  To work around this, you will have to get more involved in
sendmail rewriting rules than you want to.  If you already know sendmail,
then you know what you'll have to do.  I've hacked up the .cf file pretty
badly, but it works OK for me now.

The "mkdev sendmail-init" adds sendmail to the /etc/tcp script so that
sendmail is started automatically when the system is booted.  Unfortunately,
sendmail will not deliver mail in that case, it only queues mail.  Every
attempt to deliver mail results in a failure of either "Host Name Lookup
Failed" or "can't exec /bin/lmail".  This doesn't occur when sendmail is
started manually by killing the sendmail process in the background and
resubmitting it.  It also doesn't occur if you do "tcp stop; tcp start".
It only occurs when tcp is started at boot time.

Unfortunately, if you do a "tcp stop; tcp start" manually, no one can
rlogin, telnet, or rcmd to your machine, or rcp (or ftp) to or from it:
they will receive an error "Bad login user id".  The only way that you
can restart TCP/IP while permitting those functions is to reboot.  But
that prevents sendmail from working.

The solution is to edit your /etc/tcp script and change the startup
of sendmail from:
/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h
to:
su root -c '/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h'

This works around the Obscurware LUID hack, and permits sendmail to work
properly when the system is booted.  Of course, you still are forced to
reboot to restart TCP/IP; there's no way to restart it while allowing
the above-listed functions to work without mucking with kmem.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (11/10/90)

According to lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman):
>because MMDF (as shipped) is broken, I chose to use Sendmail.

That was mistake #1.  I refuse to use programs that use one-character
tags for line-oriented configuration files.

Get Smail 3 from uunet (~/mail/smail3.1.19.Z).  You'll thank yourself.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (11/11/90)

A three-part doc was posted to sco-list by a kind soul at SCO which gave
instructions on setting up MMDF which worked on my system.  They cover
sites with uucp links or TCP/IP links, plus 3.2.2 differences.

I understand that similar information was contained in the unx167 update
to 3.2.0 and in the 3.2.2 sysadmin manual.

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/11/90)

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>Get Smail 3 from uunet (~/mail/smail3.1.19.Z).  You'll thank yourself.

We're running smail3.1.19.Z here on nstar - but did you notice that
the bundle is actually release 18 - or does the 19 in the filename stand
for something else besides the release?

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (11/12/90)

In article <273AEEBF.1049@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman):
>>because MMDF (as shipped) is broken, I chose to use Sendmail.
>
>That was mistake #1.  I refuse to use programs that use one-character
>tags for line-oriented configuration files.
>
>Get Smail 3 from uunet (~/mail/smail3.1.19.Z).  You'll thank yourself.
>--
>Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
>    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed
>         by that evil Chip Salzenberg."   -- John F. Haugh II

Chip,
  My only question is:
  If the program is called smail3.1.19.Z then why after I built it
does it say smail3.1.18?

Jim

--

UUCP: nosc!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) (11/12/90)

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:

>  If the program is called smail3.1.19.Z then why after I built it
>does it say smail3.1.18?

I asked Ron Karr this very question and he said it was because the
change from 18 to 19 was to documentation only so he didn't want to
change the version stamps in the code which was in fact the same as
version 18.
--
		Andrew H. Marrinson
		Icom Systems, Inc.

andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) (11/12/90)

I should also mention that if you are planning on getting smail for
SCO I have some patches you will almost certainly want.  Send mail to
andy@icom.icom.com and I'll mail them out.
--
		Andrew H. Marrinson
		Icom Systems, Inc.