[comp.unix.sysv386] Looking for i386 versions that support >16Meg memory

haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) (10/16/90)

I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
16 megabytes of memory?

I believe the reason Interactive only supports 16 Meg is the DMA controller on
ISA and MCA machines compatible with IBM only supports 24 bits of address. This
causes their HPDD package to be limited to what the DMA can access.

Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??

John M. Haugen               Domain:  haugen@BMA.COM
Bull Micral of America       UUCP:    ...!uunet!bulus3!haugen
900 Long Lake Road           ATT:  612-633-5660

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (10/18/90)

haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:

> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
> 16 megabytes of memory?

 I ws told by my rep at ISC (before the stuff about going through
distributors came down) that they should have a release that will
support more than 16 megs before the year is out (I was told it was
for mid-November release when I was told about it back in August).
I don't know if this helps, but ISC was working on it.
---
Grant DeLorean              ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!grant
                            ...towers!bluemoon!grant
                              grant@bluemoon
++Being self employed, my opinions are remarkably similar to my employers.

 "The couple that heaves together, cleaves together."
                                 --- Loiosh

linas@hparc0.HP.COM (Linas Petras) (10/18/90)

>Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??

SCO Unix 3.2.2 will support up to 64Mb of RAM I beleive

Linas Petras					Not speaking for HP

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (10/20/90)

In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM> haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
>Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
>16 megabytes of memory?

SCO Unix 3.2v2 supports up to 256mb of ram.

--
Roger Knopf                                "Alas, poor Schoenberg; whose
SCO Consulting Services			   aesthetic is perhaps too fine to be

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/20/90)

> haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:

> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
> 16 megabytes of memory?

Dell unix supports 64meg, at least on our platforms (425te and 433te
are the marketing names).  I am told by our unix guys that changes
were made to get this to work.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (10/23/90)

From article <11202@scorn.sco.COM>, by rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502):

> In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM> haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>>I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
>>Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
>>16 megabytes of memory?
>
> SCO Unix 3.2v2 supports up to 256mb of ram.

  Just out of curiosity who sells a 256mb ram card for a 386 machine?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

richardt@sco.COM (Richard Trivett) (10/23/90)

In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM> haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
>16 megabytes of memory?

Speaking from (but not for :-) ) SCO, SCO UNIX 3.2 v 2 recognizes up to
256 Meg of memory, but I understand only the first 64 Meg improves
performance.
			- Rich

tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) (10/23/90)

In <11202@scorn.sco.COM> rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:
>SCO Unix 3.2v2 supports up to 256mb of ram.

That's because it needs that much to run :-)

In article <1990Oct22.171226.6223@fiver> palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>  Just out of curiosity who sells a 256mb ram card for a 386 machine?

The biggest motherboards that I have heard of are 64MB and while they have
been announced, they are very hard to come buy.  There are a couple of
system manufacturers that have complete systems with 64MB (Dell for one), but
the motherboard manufacturers are having a hard time getting them out the
door (mylex takes 30 to 40 days to send one out and micronics says they won't
start shipping for at least 4 to 6 weeks).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (10/26/90)

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

>haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:

>> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
>> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
>> 16 megabytes of memory?

> I ws told by my rep at ISC (before the stuff about going through
>distributors came down) that they should have a release that will
>support more than 16 megs before the year is out (I was told it was
>for mid-November release when I was told about it back in August).
>I don't know if this helps, but ISC was working on it.

SCO UNIX 3.2v2.0, which has been shiping for several months
supports more than 16 Mb of physical memory.
--
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

aland@informix.com (alan denney) (11/03/90)

In article <8420@scolex.sco.COM> chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) writes:

>SCO UNIX 3.2v2.0, which has been shiping for several months
>supports more than 16 Mb of physical memory.
>--
>Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman
>Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

But how does the "man behind the curtain" handle the DMA issues when
running > 16MB on ISA bus machines?  This is a big issue for us...

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

I'm Pro-Anarchy...   and I Vote!

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (11/04/90)

In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM>, haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
> 16 megabytes of memory?
>
> Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??
> John M. Haugen               Domain:  haugen@BMA.COM

I'm running an Altos System 5000 (486/EISA) with 32MB of memory. It runs an
Altos-modified version of SCO UNIX.

I find nothing in the Interactive UNIX release notes about a 16MB limit, or
about the lifting of such a limit. I have never run ISC on more than 16MB.

I would hope that EISA and MCA support would include the ability to address
more than 16 MB.
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Freelance writer-------------------+
|  UUCP: decvax!maxx!tyager          NET: maxx!tyager@bytepb.byte.com      |

sauer@dell.dell.com (Charlie Sauer) (11/04/90)

In article <99@maxx.UUCP> tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:
>In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM>, haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
>> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
>> 16 megabytes of memory?
>>
>> Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??
>
>I'm running an Altos System 5000 (486/EISA) with 32MB of memory. It runs an
>Altos-modified version of SCO UNIX.
>
>I find nothing in the Interactive UNIX release notes about a 16MB limit, or
>about the lifting of such a limit. I have never run ISC on more than 16MB.
>
>I would hope that EISA and MCA support would include the ability to address
>more than 16 MB.

Dell V.3 is a superset of Interactive 2.0.2.  Interactive 2.0.2 required a
number of modifications to work with more than 16MB.  Dell V.3 and Dell V.4 have
both been tested up to 64MB with Dell 425TE and 433TE systems.
--
Charlie Sauer       Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!sauer
(512) 343-3310      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:sauer@dell.com

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (11/08/90)

In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM>, haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
> 16 megabytes of memory?
>
> Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??

I'm running a Wang-modified version of SCO UNIX on a Wang machine with
64 MB of memory.  I don't know if stock SCO supports that much.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws

stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski) (11/10/90)

Haugen) writes:
> > I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
> > Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
> > 16 megabytes of memory?
> >
> > Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??
>
> I'm running a Wang-modified version of SCO UNIX on a Wang machine with
> 64 MB of memory.  I don't know if stock SCO supports that much.

Dell UNIX will support up to 64 meg.  You have to make sure that the entry
in /etc/default/at.386 is set up for > 16 meg.

John Steczkowski
Dell Unix Customer Support  P#: (512) 343-3571
9505 Arboretum Blvd.	    !s: uunet!dell!hotwheel!stecz
Austin, Texas 78759	    @s: stecz@hotwheel.dell.com

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/10/90)

In article <728@bulus3.BMA.COM>, haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
> I know Interactive Unix does not support more than 16 megabytes of memory.
> Would there be other versions of Sys V based Unix that support more than
> 16 megabytes of memory?
>
> Does SCO, Everex, Intel, and the others also have this limit??

I recently installed Esix on two 486 EISA systems with 24 Meg each.

At the start, the bootup BIOS showed that the hardware saw 24
Meg, but the ESIX bootup said it only recognized 16 of it.

The first thing to check is the MEMRANGE value in /etc/default/boot.
In my case, this alone did not help.

Then, after asking around, I was told (tho' I'm not sure how true it is)
that the original IBM spec for the old AT architecture did not deal with
extended memory beyond 16 Meg. Therefore, there were technically ways in
which manufacturers could play with that area without breaking the spec.

So, the official line, as I understand it from both Interactive and Esix
(and maybe others) is that "386 Unix *should* recognize normal extended
memory beyond 16 Meg, but we won't support it because some manufacturers
may implement that memory in strange ways."

Indeed, after finding nothing in Unix that would get it to recognize
beyond 16 Meg, I checked the box's hardware manual. The box had come
shipped with hardware caching and "Shadow RAM" enabled - disabling both
allowed the Esix to boot and recognize the entire 24 Meg.

Not supported, maybe, but it worked!

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
    evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) (11/12/90)

There are some things to watch out for when going beyond 16Meg even if
-- like the person running ESIX -- it seems to work.  In particular,
the AT bus DMA channels and all ISA-BUS cards support only 24-bit
addresses.  Now Unix since (at least) 3.2 has a mechanism to deal with
this a file (mentioned in a previous posting) allows you to indicate
which portions of memory support DMA and which don't.  When a DMA
would be performed to one of these addresses, a copy is performed
instead.

So end of problem, right?  Wrong.  Some drivers may not know about
this scheme and blindly truncate the address to twenty-four bits or
otherwise fail.  In particular, third party DMA controllers such as
Adaptec 1540 or WD7000 are more likely to suffer from this than
others, since they won't be using the supplied dma library routines.

This is a problem if you try to read or write raw partitions (e.g.
with a DBMS) from a user program that could be located above 16Meg.

I am not saying any particular OS/driver combination suffers from this
problem, just that you should be aware of it and find out for your
particular combination whether it works correctly or not.  This may be
the reason ISC and/or ESIX claim there OS's do not work with > 16 Meg.

Just another reason why AT/ISA architecture is gimping our hardware...
(Uh oh, stand by for flames on that one...)
--
		Andrew H. Marrinson
		Icom Systems, Inc.