[comp.unix.sysv386] Interactive 2.2 ULIMIT problem

mcneild@mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM (Doug McNeil) (11/01/90)

I've been trying unsuccessfully to build a kernel with a larger
ULIMIT default kernel under Interactive 2.2. I use _idtune_ to change
the ULIMIT to value within the limits, but when I build the kernel and
reboot the default ULIMIT hasn't changed from its old default (4096).
I've successfully increase ULIMIT on previous version of Interactive
386/ix...does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Please mail replies to: ...uunet!mitel!spock!mcneild
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Smokin" Doug McNeil			| doug_mcneil@mitel.com

In article <MCNEILD.90Oct31180231@mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM> mcneild@mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM (Doug McNeil) writes:
> [problem of setting ulimit for ISC UNIX 2.2 deleted]

READ THE FAQ POSTING for this newsgroup.  If you don't got one, wait a day and
you will get it (I will be posting it tonight).

PS. Look at /etc/default/login

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (11/07/90)

In article <MCNEILD.90Oct31180231@mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM> mcneild@mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM (Doug McNeil) writes:
>I've been trying unsuccessfully to build a kernel with a larger
>ULIMIT default kernel under Interactive 2.2. I use _idtune_ to change
>the ULIMIT to value within the limits, but when I build the kernel and
>reboot the default ULIMIT hasn't changed from its old default (4096).
>I've successfully increase ULIMIT on previous version of Interactive
>386/ix...does anyone have any ideas?

For AT&T, you also need to edit /etc/default/login and add ULIMIT=xxxxx.
This will change the default ULIMIT for all logins.

In article <113@genco.bungi.com> rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
>For AT&T, you also need to edit /etc/default/login and add ULIMIT=xxxxx.
>This will change the default ULIMIT for all logins.

Actually you should configure the kernel to have the correct ULIMIT and
delete the ULIMIT line in /etc/default/login.  That way you only have
to remember to change one location when you need to up the ULIMIT
again.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/08/90)

>>For AT&T, you also need to edit /etc/default/login and add ULIMIT=xxxxx.
>>This will change the default ULIMIT for all logins.
>
>Actually you should configure the kernel to have the correct ULIMIT and
>delete the ULIMIT line in /etc/default/login.  That way you only have
>to remember to change one location when you need to up the ULIMIT
>again.

Or set the ULIMIT way high in the kernel and make adjustments in
/etc/default/login.  That way you don't need to re-link the kernel
to make a change.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

In article <1990Nov8.152741.1581@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Or set the ULIMIT way high in the kernel and make adjustments in
>/etc/default/login.  That way you don't need to re-link the kernel
>to make a change.

This would be much better if the capability to set the ulimit on a per-user
basis existed and all process starting jobs (login, cron, init) used that
value when initiating a job for a particular user.

The other problem with setting it in login to be different from the kernel
setting is that depending upon how the job got executed, the ulimit will
be different (if it got executed from cron it would have the kernel ulimit
unless cron was restarted since the boot).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov09.120821.4975@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1990Nov8.152741.1581@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>Or set the ULIMIT way high in the kernel and make adjustments in
>>/etc/default/login.  That way you don't need to re-link the kernel
>>to make a change.
>
>This would be much better if the capability to set the ulimit on a per-user
>basis existed and all process starting jobs (login, cron, init) used that
>value when initiating a job for a particular user.

If you put a line in the .profile to LOWER the ulimit it will.
Correct?  As I remember, a user can lower their ulimit but not raise
it.

--

UUCP: nosc!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

In article <1990Nov10.034318.602@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>>This would be much better if the capability to set the ulimit on a per-user
>>basis existed and all process starting jobs (login, cron, init) used that
>>value when initiating a job for a particular user.
>
>If you put a line in the .profile to LOWER the ulimit it will.

Note that I said all processes starting jobs, not just the shell.  Only
the sh (or ksh, if you have it) read a .profile.  Even then, the user
can change it if it is in their .profile.  If it is in the /etc/profile
file then the same value applies to all users unless you put in some
additional smarts to handle it on a per-user basis.

> As I remember, a user can lower their ulimit but not raise it.

This is true, but that doesn't mean that the lower ulimit will apply
for jobs submited for execution by at or cron.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/11/90)

>> As I remember, a user can lower their ulimit but not raise it.
>
>This is true, but that doesn't mean that the lower ulimit will apply
>for jobs submited for execution by at or cron.

Yes, "at" does enforce the prevailing ulimit.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (11/12/90)

In <1990Nov11.141858.2474@pegasus.com>, richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) wrote:

] As I remember, a user can lower their ulimit but not raise it.

| This is true, but that doesn't mean that the lower ulimit will apply
| for jobs submited for execution by at or cron.

> Yes, "at" does enforce the prevailing ulimit.

I suspect one could change this in /usr/lib/cron/.proto.  Mine contains

#ident	"@(#).proto	2.3 - 88/05/26"
cd $d
ulimit $l
umask $m
$<

--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789